Senator circumvents new Republican rules to collect paycheck

A missing Democratic senator threw a wrench in the Republican leadership system Thursday when he evaded its attempts to lure him and the other missing senators back to Wisconsin by finding a way to collect his legislative pay without returning to the Capitol.

Sen. Jon Erpenbach, D-Middleton, found a loophole in a rule, passed by a Senate committee Wednesday, that suspends direct deposit and requires the missing senators to collect their paychecks in person. Drawing the senators into the Capitol to collect their paychecks could lead to a quorum allowing the Senate to vote on the budget repair bill.

Erpenbach granted power of attorney to two of his staff members Thursday, allowing them power over his finances and the ability to collect his paycheck. His act of defiance was successful in circumventing a key effort by Republicans to bring the missing senators back to the Capitol.

Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau, put Erpenbach’s paycheck in the mail Thursday, Erpenbach said.

Movement from other missing senators to follow his lead is unclear, Erpenbach said. He said he has not discussed the matter with any of them.

Fitzgerald’s spokesperson, Andrew Welhouse, confirmed Erpenbach had indeed found a way around the rule.

“It is extremely disappointing that the Senate Democrats are putting more effort into finding loopholes to get paid in Illinois than working to get back to Wisconsin to do the jobs they were elected to do,” Welhouse said.

He added Republican leadership has been very lenient with the missing senators. If a typical employee repeatedly skipped work he or she would not be treated so kindly.

The Senate issued an Order to Detain for all missing senators Thursday that held them in contempt and made the senators subject to arrest under charges of disorderly conduct in Wisconsin, although the order’s constitutionality is being questioned.

On Wednesday morning, the Senate passed a resolution to fine each missing senator $100 a day for every day he or she remained in hiding. As of Friday evening, Erpenbach said he has yet to be fined.

The fines were scheduled for debate on the Senate floor Friday, but Fitzgerald canceled the session in an effort to return the Capitol to a sense of normalcy, a statement said.