Police forces around Capitol grow for Tuesday’s debates

Hundreds of security personnel were brought in from around the state Tuesday before the Senate and Assembly met to continue debate on Gov. Scott Walker’s budget repair bill.

Security personnel were increased around and inside the Capitol after Republican leadership said the Assembly session last Friday had to adjourn because of security reasons.

Following Friday’s session, Assembly Majority Leader Jeff Fitzgerald, R-Horicon, Rep. Scott Suder, R-Abbotsford, and Rep. Robin Vos, R-Burlington, released a joint statement saying the Assembly would reconvene on Tuesday and was confident the security concerns would no longer exist.

Though assembly galleries were still open to the protesters Tuesday, many new security measures were put in place to prepare for the morning’s debate.

The increase in security included securing the west and south wings and the fourth floor north and west hallways, said a statement released Monday from The Assembly Sergeant at Arms.

“We will be asking people to empty their pockets and will have metal screening set up to enter [the Assembly galleries],” the statement said. “People will be admitted 10 at a time.”

Items such as signs, posters, food and hats along with usage of laptop or phones were prohibited along with cheering, clapping and other distracting actions.

Tuesday was the first time since Walker announced the bill that such measures have been taken. A number of protesters and police force members were surprised at the security increase because of the constant peaceful state in which the protests have occurred.

“We’ve had absolutely no problems and we are very pleased with the conduct and behavior of everyone who has come to the Capitol today,” said Joel DeSpain, spokesperson for the Madison Police Department. “We are here to keep the streets safe and aid democracy as it happens.”

Although the Capitol grounds are not part of the Madison Police Department’s jurisdiction, MPD has been working around the clock to ensure the safety of the surrounding streets, DeSpain said.

Hundreds of additional officers were indefinitely called in from around the state and have been aiding the Capitol Police with protests and security. Fitzgerald said the amount of law enforcement during this time of debate is necessary, although citizens have been cooperative.

“We want to keep it peaceful,” Fitzgerald said. “If it weren’t for the fact that our law enforcement is so well trained and that Wisconsin citizens appreciate their role this would not have gone off as smoothly as it has.”