Crime in Brief

NEW BERM COURT 

Arrested Person

A Madison mother was arrested Saturday after aiding her teenage daughters and their friends twice in 10 days in provoking a fight with a number of their peers. 

The woman was cited with a misdemeanor ticket Jan. 27 after driving vanloads of teenagers to a New Berm Court residence so that the teenagers could fight the residents, a Madison Police Department report said. 

The woman instigated a second fight Saturday despite police warnings.
The mother said she did not want her daughter to be pushed around and did not like the Facebook postings about her daughter, the report said.

ASH STREET 

Arrested Juvenile 

A 16-year-old West High student was arrested Friday on tentative charges of false imprisonment, intimidation of a victim and two counts of disorderly conduct after forcing his ex-girlfriend off school grounds. 

The victim said the suspect pulled her by the arm to a nearby cemetery. When the victim fought back, the suspect pushed her to the ground, according to an MPD report. 

The report said the suspect threatened to harm the victim when they arrived at the cemetery. 

MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said it was clear the victim was trying to end the relationship.

FORDEM AVENUE 

Robbery

Four at-large suspects forced their way into a 21-year-old female’s apartment early Friday evening, demanding the victim hand over any valuables, an MPD report said. 

After a knock at the door, the victim and her two friends answered the door to the four men brandishing their handguns. 

The men made off with cash and three cell phones, the report said. 

DeSpain said individual residences are normally targeted when suspects believe they can secure drug money.

FEW STREET

Robbery

A second home invasion robbery occurred late Friday night when a 38-year-old man was assaulted at his east side home and two suspects forced their way into the victim’s residence.

The suspects allegedly threatened the resident with handguns and fled the scene with the victim’s money, laptop, cellphone and other electronics, an MPD report said. 

DeSpain said many home invasion robberies also involve some sort of drug activity. 

“While we’re still investigating as to why these residences would be targeted, and it would be premature to link these houses to drugs at this time, it is a definite possibility,” DeSpain said. 

ALISON LANE 

Drug Investigation

An incident police originally believed was an armed robbery Tuesday night shortly escalated into a drug investigation, according to an MPD report. 

A 19-year-old man testified he had been robbed at knifepoint after getting into a friend’s van in an Alison Lane parking lot. 

When police located the van, parked near Tree Lane, a strong scent of marijuana was streaming from the vehicle, the report said. Police called for backup from the department’s drug dog and discovered three small bags of marijuana inside an air duct vent.