Crime in Brief

STATE STREET

Battery
A group of Guardian Angels broke up a fight early Sunday morning on State Street, leading to the arrest of two men involved in the brawl.
“The individuals had all been out at a local bar,” said Joel DeSpain, Madison Police Department spokesperson. “Levels of intoxication are not known, but they had all been at State Street Brats preceding the incident.”
According to the police report, a 24-year-old man from Verona had been punched in the head, kneed in the groin and knocked to the pavement. He suffered a broken nose.

NORTH PARK STREET

Weapons Violation
Police ordered five teenage boys out of a vehicle at gunpoint Saturday evening after a concerned citizen observed three backseat passengers were handling a firearm.
The weapon turned out to be a BB pistol after closer inspection. The three backseat passengers were cited for unlawful use of facsimile firearm, according to an MPD report.
“No person may carry or display a facsimile firearm, unless on your own property or business, or that of another person with their consent,” DeSpain said.

GORHAM STREET

Battery
A 20-year-old man was knocked unconscious after a downtown battery early Saturday morning.
The victim was walking with three friends when a group of 10 to 12 men passed and bumped the victim and his friends, according to an MPD report.
The victim’s group kept walking so as to avoid causing trouble.Two men from the larger group punched the victim and one of his friends, knocking the victim to the pavement. He needed multiple stitches to a head wound.
“They did the right thing by trying to walk away from there,” DeSpain. “Travel in a group at night, and don’t provoke people.”

EAST WASHINGTON AVENUE

Injured Person
Two men arrived at a local hospital with stab wounds Friday night and claimed they had been attacked outside an East Washington Avenue tavern.
The 45-year-old victim had a blood alcohol content of .15 and did not answer to the responding officer’s questions. The 27-year-old victim claimed he had been attacked during an attempted robbery, according to an MPD report. No evidence was found to verify his claim.

LORRAINE DRIVE

Injured Person
An 18-year-old man arrived at a local hospital Saturday with stab wounds, claiming he had been attacked while taking out the trash at his girlfriend’s house.
DeSpain said officers were in the area and there was no blood or other evidence of the attack.
The victim was unable to provide a description of the attacker and could not remember his girlfriend’s last name or exact address.
According to police reports, he had an outstanding warrant and was sent to jail from the hospital.