Crime in Brief

BREARLY STREET

Burglary

While sleeping in his car early Friday morning, a 53-year-old Madison man called the police after two men tried to break in, according to a Madison Police Department report.

Police located and searched University of Wisconsin students Tyler Zeman, 18, and John Wilger, 19, and found the suspects had stolen electronics items in their possession, the report said.

MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said Madison residents should notify police immediately in the event of car theft.

Residents should also never keep valuables in their cars, DeSpain added.

PARK STREET

Attempted Robbery

According to an MPD report, a 47-year-old Madison man was attacked from behind at the McDonald’s on Park Street Thursday night when a man attempted to steal the victim’s money.

The suspect did not obtain any money after the victim fought him off and escaped the scene.

The responding officer determined the victim was highly intoxicated and took him in for detoxification, the report added. The victim said he had consumed two or three bottles of vodka.

SOUTH SIDE

Homicide Update

Two men were charged Jan. 28 in connection with an open homicide case from Madison’s south side last year.

Berry Carr of Madison and Deleon Harland of Chicago were arrested Jan. 28 on charges of shooting Lofton Sprouls at his apartment on the 1100 block of Moorland Road March 8.

Police believe the suspects were trying to obtain cash and drugs from Sprouls, according to the criminal complaint.

Police originally suspected the men they were searching for had a personal connection with Sprouls.

MCKENNA BOULEVARD

Car Theft

An eyewitness to a car theft ordered a 17-year-old suspect to get down on the ground after the thief crashed the stolen vehicle and began to flee on foot Jan. 26.

Darryl Miller of Madison and a second unidentified suspect stole the unlocked and running vehicle from outside a deli on Verona Road, an MPD report said.

The suspects crashed the vehicle after police began chasing them. A Verona man who followed the suspects told Miller to get down on the ground until police detained him.

COHO STREET

Drug Dealing

Officers from the South District Community Police Team ran surveillance at a Coho Street apartment building Thursday afternoon after receiving complaints regarding possible drug dealing, according to a Madison Police Department report.

The surveillance led CPT members to arrest two Madison men for trespassing and drug possession in a parking lot.

Sylvester Gavins, 20, was arrested for carrying marijuana, ecstasy and more than $900 in cash. The second suspect, Jonathon Britton, 20, also had marijuana in his possession, the report said.