College students facing unprecedented depression, stress

Incoming college students are feeling more anxiety and stress than students in years past as a consequence of the state of the economy, according to recent research findings.

The Higher Education Research Institute found students are reporting their emotional health at a lower score than in years past through its Cooperative Institutional Research Program, according to a statement released by HERI.

Linda DeAngelo, CIRP assistant director for research, said students were given surveys and asked to rank their level of stress and anxiety as well as their drive to succeed on a scale of one to five.

Students who ranked themselves at a five are considered to have emotional health that is in the top 10 percent of their peers, DeAngelo said. 

Only 51.9 percent of students rated themselves within the top ten percent of their peers. Student ratings of their emotional health have dropped by 3.4 percent since 2009 and have fallen dramatically from 63.6 percent in 1985, according to the statement.

DeAngelo said the findings of the survey are linked to the current national economic situation. More students are coming to college with parents who are unemployed, more pressure to succeed and more pressure to find a major with a good job outlook.

While the amount of stress felt by incoming freshman increases, it is important to understand the stress they are encountering and try to help them feel secure, DeAngelo said.

“We need to be aware of an increased demand for services such as counseling,” she said.

The University of Wisconsin has many counseling services that cater to student needs, said Danielle Oakley, director of counseling and consultation services at University Health Services.

Oakley stressed the importance of students seeking help if they are feeling stressed because if untreated, stress can lead to long-term anxiety and depression.

Students with an overwhelming amount of stress may encounter issues with focus, sleep and their eating habits, she said.

“The number one thing college students face is stress followed by anxiety, depression, relationship concerns and substance abuse,” Oakley said.

DeAngelo said while students are under stress prior to coming to college, they still always have the excitement of getting as involved in activities as possible.

She added in order to have a full college experience, students must take care of their mental health.