Neighbors debate St. Paul’s plan

stpaulrendering
The plans for the proposed State Street resident hall include rooms for roughly 165 residents plus food service, common areas and a cathedral.[/media-credit]

Representatives from State Street’s St. Paul Church diffused worries about the possible height of the faith-based residence hall at a State-Langdon neighborhood meeting Thursday.

According to the proposal, the preliminary plans call for a 14-story building neighborhood residents worried might block views of the Capitol from Bascom Hill. However, the proposal’s representatives claimed the building will not impose on the views but will instead add aesthetic appeal that will tie in with the architecture of the neighboring Presbyterian House.

Representatives from the Presbyterian House said they believe the concept of the building and the building’s exterior design would be “lovely” contributions to the area, but the building is about twice the size it should be.

Neighborhood residents were also concerned the building was too large for the amount of space it would be placed in.

“I think that this is seriously putting too much building on too little site,” Mansion Hill resident Fred Mohs said.

Mohs expressed concern the State Street landlords would run their businesses down in order to sell off the space as prime real estate, diminishing the value of Madison’s beloved street.

Ronald Trachtenberg, the attorney representing the proposal, countered Mohs’ concerns, saying the height of the building will add texture to the downtown area.

Ald. Bryon Eagon, District 8, said the building might possibly draw attention away from the Capitol building. He also said he was unsure Madison residents would be able to appreciate the building’s impressive architecture without “craning their necks.”

Scott Resnick, president of the State-Langdon Association, also questioned the realistic aspect of the project, noting past proposals for the area have fallen through.

The project’s architects said the plans will be more finalized later in 2011 after they meet with various committees to discuss the reality of the proposal.

If the proposal passes through the city’s planning system, it would give a new student housing option for students who want to incorporate faith into their everyday living.

Father Eric Nelson, pastor of St. Paul Church, said he does not anticipate problems filling the residence hall because students want a place where they can relate their faith to their education.

“[Students are excited at] the idea of living a little closer in a community,” Nelson said.

The building ties in with preliminary plans for religion-based classes through Edgewood College that would allow University of Wisconsin students to transfer credits for course load at UW.

In addition to the residence hall, the building would also feature a chapel and a student center with exercise facilities, food service, a music practice room and a coffee bar. The chapel would occupy the second story, and the upper stories would house a rough estimate of 165 residents.

The project’s proposers are also considering turning two floors into twenty-unit “mini sororities or fraternities.”

According to the representatives, more detailed models will be available and shown to the public soon, with finalized plans promised by the end of 2011.