UW names new registrar

After a lengthy process of deliberation, calls and background checks, University of Wisconsin officials announced the final selection for the UW registrar position from a pool of four finalists.

Scott Owczarek, the committee’s final selection, said the position typically includes working with the basic process of grades, transcripts, degrees and diplomas, but the role is evolving.

“The registrar is becoming more of a consultant, an advisory role, to assist faculty and students through collaboration and building relationships,” Owczarek said.

Prior to accepting the position at UW, Owczarek served as the associate registrar for registration service at Michigan State University.

Owcarek stood out from other applicants because of his goals for the future and his ability to understand the student body, said Joanne Berg, vice provost for enrollment management.

“His visionary thinking about what the registrar’s office can be for the university is what set him apart from the other candidates,” Berg said. “He connects well with students and their needs; he gets that this is a difficult challenge.”

More student feedback is one thing Berg said she hopes to see more of and believes Owczarek can accomplish this task.

Although Owczarek’s job doesn’t begin until Jan. 31, he said he wants to hit the ground running and aims to bring high energy and a love for his field to the office.

He said his goals for the semester include expanding relationships and collaborating with faculty to understand the needs of students. He also hopes to provide support for students to achieve their academic objectives throughout their academic careers.

“We need to give them the tools to succeed so they have the light at the end of the tunnel,” he said.

UW appealed to Owczarek because of its world-class reputation, among other things.

“This is a phenomenal school with some of the most creative and innovative faculty and students,” said Owczarek. “The student body is the brightest and best in the nation.”

Owczarek also said he believes in the Wisconsin Idea, which is another reason he chose to apply for the position.

Owczarek’s yearly salary will be $126,000, which Berg said is competitive compared to other universities. The salary puts him in the top range of all UW employees.