Founder of CollegeFashionista talks fashion near UW campus

The light snow fall yesterday evening gave University of Wisconsin students the chance to flaunt their leather riding boots, walking coats and anything cashmere at the BOP and CollegeFashionista event.

CollegeFashionista is a style blog that focuses on current looks and trends at 95 universities, Business Director for CollegeFashionista Dan Levine said. The webpage features posts and photographs of stylish individuals on campus, with commentary by student contributors, or “Style Gurus,” he said.

At the UW there are five Style Gurus: Caroline Radaj, Sammy Luterbach, Emily Schnur, Steph Bodendorfer and Caroline Wilson.

The event took place at the clothing store BOP on the corner of State and Gilman Streets. Customers at BOP were treated to finger foods, a live DJ and 20 percent off their total purchase.

Shoppers also got to meet the founder and creative director of CollegeFashionista, Amy Levine, along with UW’s crew of Style Gurus.

CollegeFashionista.com was launched in August of 2009 at five universities: The University of Indiana, The Ohio State University, Michigan State University, Penn State University and UW, Dan Levine said.

The initial goal was to have a style column for every college in the Big 10 Conference, but after requests from universities across the nation and even Canada and the United Kingdom, the blog “got huge,” Amy Levine said.

“People wanted to feel like they were a part of the fashion community. And especially at schools like this or Indiana, you guys don’t have a lot of fashion outlets. The website gives people the ability to easily connect with the current style,” she said.

For students at UW, CollegeFashionista can be used to emulate high-class style on a budget. For each outfit described, the main pieces are usually from inexpensive retail stores like Target or Forever 21, UW senior Emily Schnur said.

Besides the name brand items, the featured fashionistas typically sport a vintage piece in their ensemble. The best place for vintage duds in Madison is Rethreads on State Street, UW sophomore Caroline Wilson said.

UW sophomore Steph Bordendorfer wore a printed dress from Rethreads, paired with a braided belt and tall suede boots.

“At Rethreads you can get a luxury bag from decades ago for a great price. They have designer dresses there for $20,” Wilson said.

As for the customers at BOP taking advantage of the 20 percent discount for the night, CollegeFashionista is a site they were familiar with.

“I love looking at it during class,” UW junior Rachel Brecher said. “But I’m a little iffy about a couple of the people they feature in the pictures. Some of their outfits could use some help!”

Whether all the CollegeFashionista users think the trends are in or out, it is clear the webpage is thriving. When the founder, Amy Levine, first started a fashion blog at Indiana University called Fashion at IU, she did not expect such immediate success.

With the total number of universities featured on CollegeFashionista increasing to 103 in January, there is no telling what lies in the website’s style horizon, Dan Levine said.

Correction: Caroline Radaj’s last name was misspelled in the original copy of this article. We regret the error.