UW-Eau Claire chancellor to decide future of smoking ban

The University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire faculty and student government have squared off over a recent proposal that would ban all tobacoo products on campus.

The University Faculty and Academic Staff Senate, a body made up of professors and other academic staff members, voted Tuesday to endorse the proposed ban of all tobacco products, including cigarettes.

However, the student government declared their opposition to the total ban Monday night, instead supporting the campus’s current policy. The current smoking policy helps reinforce the rules that say that smoking cannot take place inside a state-owned building or within 25 feet of residence halls or childcare facilities.

The Student Senate previously stated they did not believe a full ban on tobacco was necessary, especially chewing tobacco.

“There was good, healthy debate and discussion on the issue,” said Vice Chair of the University Senate Linda Spaeth.

Spaeth said the decision was made initially after an electronic survey for students, faculty and staff, which brought in more than 3,000 responses and large percentage in favor of a tobacco ban. They also took into consideration health risks that were brought up, such as second-hand smoking and asthma.

Spaeth said around 500 other campuses are participating in similar bans.

Spaeth said there was much debate on the issue, with this being the second reading of it brought forward and the discussion lasting about 40 minutes. There had also been an open forum to discuss the issue Nov. 29.

The faculty did take the student government’s decision into account, and the student president gave a presentation on their stance on the issue, Spaeth added.

Susan Harris, chair of the University Senate, said the proposition only reads “to ban tobacco and tobacco-like substances on campus.”

The proposed start date is Jan. 1, 2012, according to Spaeth.

The Chancellor has the final decision on this issue. Harris said UW-Eau Claire Chancellor Brian Levin-Stankevich asked for an extension on his decision so he can talk to the classified staff and both senates before making his final decision, which is now extended to the end of February.

Harris said that should the proposals be unapproved by the chancellor, a long consultation process will take place.

“This issue is the beginning of many conversations to be held,” Harris said.