ASM looks to dip into reserve funds

The student government could have to dip into their reserve funds to pay for possible renovations to the Student Activity Center including creating an office space for a proposed Legal Information Center as well as shoring up their shrinking travel grant fund.

The Associated Students of Madison Reserve Board met Tuesday afternoon to debate the proposed LIC, which would provide a legal resource for students on campus.

Student Services Finance Committee Chair Matt Manes, who proposed the center, said he envisioned the LIC being set up in one of two ways: either having law students working to inform students of their rights or having either law professors or professional attorneys on staff to offer legal advice and actually represent students.

However, Student Council Chair Brandon Williams cautioned against approving funding before having a set plan in place.

“Why are we rushing forward with this if we don’t have any plans”? Williams asked. “We are a week away from finals, and then we have a month to sit down with all the proposals.”

Manes said they would not be billing the students for any of the renovations since the money would just be pulled from the reserves, and if it is not used it could go back into the reserves.

The reserve fund, according to Finance Committee Chair Matt Beemsterboer, is the leftover money at the end of each fiscal year for ASM.

He added he wanted to make sure they get the LIC off the ground and running this year because they have seen projects die in the past when ASM leadership is changed.

Beemsterboer said before he could vote yes he would have to see more concrete plans set.

Beemsterboer said he would need to see how much it would cost to have professional attorneys working in the office because they would be a good resource for students and would also provide good experience for law students.

“We might be able to get a contract with a firm, instead of just always having the same lawyer, having an entire firm provide us with one at a time,” Beemsterboer said.

The board agreed they would find more information on pricing and structure of the LIC over winter break.

“If the proposal is solid, I’m willing to take money out of the reserves,” Student Council Vice Chair Adam Johnson said.

The board also discussed providing additional money to the Finance Committee’s travel grants fund. The travel grants provide money for Registered Student Organizations to pay for trips for a variety of reasons.

Finance Committee began the year with $100,000, but they only have $25,000 left with another semester looming.

Part of the problem, Beemsterboer said, is last year the Finance Committee started the year with $125,000.

Beemsterboer added they have also seen an increase of groups wanting to use the money for international travel, which costs significantly more than travel inside the country.

Manes recommended if the board approves to move reserves into the travel fund they cap the amount that can be spent on a single person at $500 to discourage anyone trying to go abroad.

The Board will make its final decisions on the LIC and the travel grants at its next meeting the first week of next semester.