Legislative Affairs committee talks stance on Badger Partnership plan

legaffairs_MH
Legislative Affairs Chair Sam Polstein said the goal of their committee is to educate students on what exactly the Badger Partnership is, as well as provide a student stance on the plan to policy-makers.[/media-credit]

With winter break quickly approaching, student government discussed its plan of attack to determine its stance on Chancellor Biddy Martin’s proposed Badger Partnership.

The proposal was created with the intent of giving UW-Madison more flexibility from state control, distinguishing it from other state agencies. Under the partnership, the university would have the freedom to set its own tuition, wages, policies and construction contracts, independent of the rest of the UW System.

Legislative Affairs Chair Sam Polstein said ASM will collaborate with Wisconsin Student Lobby, Wisconsin Student Public Interest Research Group, College Democrats and College Republicans in an effort to provide the university and state policy makers with a clear position on how students feel about the partnership.

Polstein said the committee’s responsibility is to educate students on what the Badger Partnership actually is, and then to craft an opinion that coordinates their beliefs.

“Right now, the partnership is really just a vague proposal for more university flexibility, so it’s hard to be against,” Polstein said, “It’s the unintended consequences of what comes along with that flexibility, like how the state will continue or not continue to fund the university, that we will need to take a look at.”

The committee also recapped the highs and lows of its first-ever housing fair at Monday’s meeting, which took place earlier this month.

According to Polstein there were 43 property managers and between 1,500 and 2,000 students in attendance.

The event provided students who are looking to live off-campus with resources they need to make good housing decisions and an opportunity to talk with area property owners, Polstein said.

Committee member Sam Seering said some people expressed they would have liked to see the event earlier in the year, before students get trapped into signing leases too early in the academic year.

Other committee members, like sophomore Zach Ivins, felt the Memorial Union’s Great Hall was too small of a venue for the fair and it should be moved to a bigger facility in years to come.

Overall, Polstein said he received positive feedback from students and property managers and he plans on making the fair an annual event.