Bud Selig named official Marquette faculty member

selig_filephoto

Marquette University Law School has formally named Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig to the adjunct faculty for being a lecturer in sports law and policy.

Marquette announced the decision Nov. 23. The announcement makes the position Selig has held since spring 2009 official. He has been teaching sports law courses each year, making this currently the third consecutive year for him teaching.

“Bud Selig is, without question, one of the most skilled and accomplished professionals in the sports industry today,” Joseph Kearney, dean of Marquette Law School, said in a statement.”We are truly honored that he would commit his time to our students and grateful that he’s chosen our classrooms as a place to pass down his significant wisdom to the next generation of leaders.”

Selig, a graduate from the University of Wisconsin, has been Baseball Commissioner for 18 years, and in that time he has helped the game receive record attendance, revenue and social awareness, according to the statement. He was also a key player in helping the Milwaukee Brewers build their new baseball stadium, Miller Park, in 2001.

According to the statement, Selig has helped create competitive balance in professional baseball, with nine different teams winning the last 10 World Series.

Among the many honors Selig has earned, he was awarded the Master of the Game Award from the National Sports Law Institute at Marquette Law School in 2000. Selig received the Jackie Robinson Foundation’s Lifetime Achievement Award and was honored with a statue at Miller Park, both received earlier this year, according to the statement.

Matt Mitten, a Marquette Law school professor, co-teaches lectures in the Professional Sports Law program with Selig. He said the classes are extremely popular, especially since Marquette is the top sports law school in the country.

“Bud Selig has a great deal of energy and enthusiasm in teaching the students,” Mitten said.

Mitten said Selig enjoys teaching the class and interacting with the students, and Marquette is delighted to have him as part of its staff.

Mitten added that while it is undetermined as of yet, Selig is welcome to teach as long as he should choose to at Marquette.

“No other law school has such an amazing opportunity to learn from the commissioner of such a popular sport,” Mitten said.