Sensenbrenner may have had highest turnout in country; Wisconsin fifth in nation for voter turnout

The district of Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., may have had the highest voter turnout in the country, according to unofficial election results.

Sensenbrenner took home 229,007 votes, more than any other congressional candidate, according to unofficial election results from the Associated Press. His district contains much of suburban Milwaukee. 

Additionally, Rep. Tammy Baldwin, the Madison congresswoman, received more votes than any other congressional Democratic candidate: 190,433.

The high voter turnout for these two candidates could be attributed to high turnout in Wisconsin overall, which was much higher than the national average.

Wisconsin recorded an estimated 50 percent voter turnout, according to the Government Accountability Board.

According to a study by George Mason University, this turnout was the fifth highest in the country.

The study calculated voter turnout in Wisconsin around 50 percent, substantially higher than the 37 percent turnout average they estimated throughout the United States.

The GAB calculates voter turnout by taking the total number of ballots cast and dividing by the voting age population.

Currently, preliminary results by the GAB indicate nearly 2.16 million people voted in last week’s election, which is roughly half of Wisconsin’s 4.37 million voting age population, according to GAB spokesperson Reid Magney.

Wisconsin typically has among the highest voter turnout in the country, Magney added.

In the 2008 election, Wisconsin’s 69 percent voter turnout was tied for the third highest in the country, according to the George Mason University study.

Prior to the election, the GAB predicted a 50 percent turnout for the election. The board based this prediction on the options available on the ballot.

Big races for governor and U.S. Senate resulted in this year’s turnout being higher than what is typically seen in midterm elections. According to the GAB records, a typical off-year election in Wisconsin has around a 45 percent voter turnout.

Although exact turnout results cannot be determined until December when all precincts report their final results to the GAB, the Dane County clerk’s office does have a tally of votes cast. More than 221,000 votes were cast in Dane County.

According to the latest estimates by the GAB, there are roughly 326,000 registered voters in Dane County. However turnout cannot be calculated using that number alone since Wisconsin allows Election Day registration, Magney said, which would increase the number of available voters.