Finance committee approves budget increases for SLP, GUTS

Stomachs were growling toward the end of Monday night’s student government meeting as members debated funding for food provided at certain campus organizations’ events.

After some discussion, Student Services Finance Committee approved Student Leadership Program and Greater University Tutoring Services’ 2011-12 proposed budgets.

SLP was approved for $69,786, which is up $3,678 from the group’s 2010-11 budget.

While some committee representatives, like Chase Wilson, thought $4,500 for food at the All Campus Leadership Conference was unnecessary, other representatives, like Rae Lymer, thought cutting funding would hinder the event’s afternoon sessions.

Wilson said that it was not fiscally responsible to allocate money to food at a one-day event simply out of fear that attendees will not return after lunch.

“If people want to leave after lunch, they can leave. It isn’t our responsibility to make them stay,” Wilson said.

SSFC Chair Matt Manes said food is always one of the biggest topics of discussion when critiquing budgets.

“These are student dollars being spent, so there’s always the question about what is actually appropriate to buy,” Manes said. “Food is such an issue because it goes to fill a very specific function at a specific time and location for a very limited number of people.”

SSFC generally agrees that funding for food is acceptable in certain situations, such as when it is serving a cultural purpose, but it is something that needs to be decided on a case-by-case basis, Manes said.

GUTS was also approved for $166,399 in the 2011-12 fiscal year, up $3,702 from 2010-11.

Members debated funding $1,100 for nylon bags given to volunteer tutors for their efforts, but ultimately let it pass.

“Not only are the bags minimal compensation for the amount of time the volunteers put in, but they are also justified in that they provide advertising for the group, which overall promotes the group’s success,” Lymer said.

Also at the meeting, Wisconsin Student Lobby and Promoting Awareness Victim Empowerment presented their budgets, which will either be approved or denied Thursday.

WSL is requesting $61,926 for its 2011-12 budget, which is $3,695 less than they requested last year. However, committee members were concerned that WSL only spent two-thirds of its total funds.

“It’s always a concern when groups come and ask for a sizable amount of money and then have a large return of that money at the end of the year.” Manes said. “What that means is that funding request either wasn’t accurate or something happened. It’s up to the committee to ask questions as to why exactly there is unspent money.”

WSL Finance Director Ian Sundstrom said the organization was new and anticipated the need for more funding than necessary.

Sundstrom said WSL plans to use 100 percent of what they are requesting for in the 2011-12 fiscal year.

PAVE, a student organization dedicated to preventing sexual and dating violence through education and activism, requested a 6.2 percent budget increase from last year’s budget of $80,967.

PAVE Chair Claire Peterson urged members to accept the organization’s budget.

“Please, help us prevent sexual assault in our community,” Peterson said.

SSFC has given out $399,505.35 in funding for budgets so far this year.