Woman claims Secretary of State candidate raped, impregnated her

A woman filed a lawsuit Tuesday against the Republican candidate for secretary of state alleging he impregnated her while she was drunk and unconscious.

Charlette Harris, 31, filed a civil suit in Milwaukee Circuit Court claiming David King took her to lunch and then to his home, where she was so intoxicated she passed out, at which point King had sex with her, according to the lawsuit.

King is challenging Doug La Follette for secretary of state, a position La Follette has held since 1974.

Both King and Harris were working for a New Berlin-based costume manufacturer called Buy Seasons Inc. at the time of the alleged incident.

Harris alleged she became pregnant after the incident and knew the baby was King’s because she is a lesbian and had not had sex with other men since then, according to the lawsuit.

Harris’ lawsuit includes claims for battery, violation of privacy and intentional infliction of emotional distress. It also alleges negligent supervision against Buy Seasons.

“There is no truth to these accusations and the time of these accusations are apparently politically and financially motivated,” King said on his Facebook page. “Today politics in Wisconsin has slithered to a new gutter low but my faith, my friends and my family are with me and his rod and his staff.”

The allegations are at odds with the Christian image King presents on his website – according to his biography, King became a pastor in 1996 and later established a prison ministry as well as a transitional home for single mothers.

King currently runs a street ministry and has been involved in the tea party movement. He speaks regularly at Christian functions around Milwaukee, where he is billed as Apostle David King.

Despite his connections to the church, King’s campaign has not been free of other controversy during this election cycle.

During a campaign speech for gun owners in August, King referred to Gov. Jim Doyle as a “crackhead.” King also filed for bankruptcy in 2003 and has several unpaid civil judgments under his belt as well as a nonprofit that is not registered with the state or federal government.
-The Associated Press contributed to this report.