Walker wins republican gubernatorial primary

http://http://vimeo.com/14987116

Scott Walker’s GOP Primary Victory

Selected highlights from Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker’s victory party at the American Serb Hall in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Scott Walker officially won the GOP’s gubernatorial nomination on Tuesday, September 14th, defeating rival republican Mark Neumann.

Filmed by Jacob Bielanski for The Badger Herald.

After months of trading numerous political barbs with former Congressman Mark Neumann, Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker emerged from Tuesday’s primary election as the Republican candidate for governor.

Walker received 58 percent of the primary votes, but Neumann did not finish far behind, taking 40 percent of the votes.

Numerous Walker supporters, including state Republican Party Chair Reince Priebus and Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen, showed their enthusiasm for Walker at his victory party in Milwaukee, chanting “go, Scott, go” and “we want Walker.”

“People are scared. They’re scared about their own job, or their spouse’s jobs, or their kids’ jobs. Well let me tell you […] on Nov. 2, you don’t have to be afraid anymore,” Walker said

Walker also touted his past works in Milwaukee County as his qualifications for the governorship. He said when he took over as county executive, the county was in serious trouble, but he was able to cut debt, reduce the size of government and have a budget surplus, all while holding the line on property taxes.

Walker also vehemently spoke against the state’s high speed rail plans and said he will use his power as governor to stop it.

Walker did tip his hat to Neumann for running an “outstanding campaign” and asked for his supporters to join with the Walker campaign to help defeat Democratic candidate Tom Barrett in November.

“I want to speak beyond this room, to those individuals across the state who voted for Mark Neumann, to tell you we have a lot in common,” Walker said. “I ask for your support, and most importantly I ask for your vote on Nov. 2.”

Neumann, who hosted his celebration in Waukesha, said in his concession speech that he has high hopes for the state and thanked all his supporters for their hard work on his campaign.

“Tonight I am keeping my word and endorsing Scott Walker. I am sending Scott a copy of my book and hope he will use it as he sees fit. I wish him the best in the general election,” Neumann said in a statement released after the election results came in.

Neumann, who served in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1995 to 1999, announced his candidacy for governor in spring 2009. Neumann touted his experience in the private as well as the public sector in his platform.

Walker announced his intentions to again run for governor last spring and garnered numerous endorsements from the state Republican Party, as well as other prominent conservatives such as U.S. Reps. Jim Sensenbrenner and Paul Ryan.

Prior to serving as Milwaukee County executive, Walker spent nearly a decade in the state Assembly.

Walker also previously made a bid for the governorship in 2006 but dropped out of the primary race to support then-Republican U.S. Rep. Mark Green. Incumbent Gov. Jim Doyle, however, defeated Green in the general election.

Wisconsin Rapids businessman Scott Paterick was the third Republican candidate on the primary ballot and received 3 percent of the vote.