Crime in brief

Car Accident on Broom

According to a Madison Police report, John Yang, driving with his younger brother in a tan Toyota Camry, passed through a flashing red light on the corner of Broom Street and W. Washington Avenue in the early morning of August 14.

Yang then crashed into a green Saturn driven by Jose Rios, flipping it on its roof. Despite the damage to the cars, injuries to the passengers were minimal, as all occupants were wearing seat belts. Although not responsible for the crash, Rios was cited for driving under a suspended license, the report said.

Bomb Threat at Hooters

On Aug. 22, Christopher Kearny, a 43-year-old Madison man, allegedly threatened a Hooters manager with a bomb in his backpack, police said. Kearney, who had run up a $100 bar tab and earlier refused to close out his tab when a waitress was trying to clock out, demanded the money from the cash register as well as the waitress’ car keys. In response, the manager called 911. He then left on foot, leaving his tab and backpack behind. Police found no explosives within the bag.

Police spokesperson Howard Payne said MPD have not confirmed the incident was alcohol-related.

Weapons violation outside of Ian’s Pizza

Near bar time in the early morning hours of August 13, a gun was pulled on an 18-year-old man outside of Ian’s Pizza on Frances Street. After the gun was pulled, the victim ran and the suspect followed. Witnesses to the event saw the altercation start between two groups of men in front of Ian’s.

Payne said it was premature to make any claims of any gang affiliation.

Robbery on Gorham

In the early morning hours of August 8, a man reported an attempted strong-arm robbery outside of Chasers on the corner of Gorham and Broom Streets., an MPD report said. While talking out his cell phone, a 20- to 24-year-old woman asked him what kind of phone he had. Shortly after, a man accompanying the woman came and attempted to steal the man’s wallet from his back pocket. The suspect then punched the man in the face and the two fled.

Battery at State Street Brats

According to another report, staff of State Street Brats called the police after Gregory Evenson allegedly slapped a 20-year-old female employee. As the employee tried to back away, Evenson followed. Evenson then allegedly grabbed a screwdriver laying on the bar, attempting to use it as a weapon. Employees managed to take away the screwdriver and escort the man out of the establishment. Evenson kicked as well as attempted to spit on the arresting officer. Once in custody he also kicked a Sheriff’s deputy. A bottle of vodka was also found on his person during booking.

“More often than not [alcohol] tends to be the case,” Payne said. “So many things can go wrong.”