Woman catches possible intruder

A Madison woman awoke to find an unwelcome visitor attempting to enter her home early Sunday morning before the suspect fled as police arrived.

Officers from the Madison Police Department responded to the scene shortly before 5:00 a.m. after a 22 year-old Madison woman claimed a man had tried to gain entrance to the front door of her residence on the 100 block of East Johnson Street.

The sound of the suspect trying to get inside woke the woman, who then went to investigate, an MPD incident report said. Upon searching her house for the source of the disturbance, she was greeted with the sight of an unknown man outside looking into her living room window.

The suspect, identified as Jeremy Campbell of Madison, was allegedly seen going to a neighboring apartment and peering into its windows as well.

As MPD officers arrived on the scene, the man allegedly fled the area and was pursued through a number of backyards before eventually being apprehended by police.

The suspect allegedly told police he was searching for a party at a friend’s house. The incident report said he went on to claim the reason for his flight from police was because he thought the responding officers were his friends playing games with flashlights — a presumption soon disproved.

The report added Campbell was arrested on tentative charges of disorderly conduct and resisting or obstructing.

Ald. Bridget Maniaci, District 2, represents the area in which the incident took place. She said security continues to be a concern for residents throughout the city.

“I encourage residents who live downtown to make sure they lock their windows and doors at night,” Maniaci said.

Lt. Jennifer Krueger Favour of MPD said based on the full police report, alcohol is not believed to have played a factor in the incident.

She added based on other police reports recorded in the area, an incident such as this does not appear to be a common occurrence.

Ryan Rainey contributed to this report.