Wood expulsion resolution deadlocks in Assembly

The ongoing debate over whether to expel Rep. Jeff Wood, I-Chippewa Falls, intensified Friday morning as Wood attempted to bring the expulsion resolution to the Assembly floor while its most outspoken supporter was absent.

At 3:15 a.m., Rep. Wood motioned to remove Assembly Resolution 14 from the Committee on Rules, which requires a two-thirds vote from both houses to expel him for disorderly conduct, and bring it to the floor for a vote.

After debate from the floor, the Assembly deadlocked into a 47-47 vote and therefore did not cast an official vote on the resolution.

Meanwhile, Rep. Steve Nass, R-Whitewater, who filed the resolution and possessed the most in-depth knowledge of the issue, was preparing for the funeral of his mother and therefore unable to attend the session, Nass spokesperson Mike Mikalsen said.

Last October, Nass filed the resolution in direct response to Wood’s September OWI arrest, which was his fifth violation in total and third during his term.

While it is difficult to judge which conduct amounts to expulsion, Wood’s case in particular is particularly egregious because he is especially vulnerable due to the repeated nature of the offenses, political science professor at the University of Wisconsin Law School Charles Franklin said.

All Assembly members were under the assumption the resolution would be reviewed as scheduled during next Tuesday’s session when Nass could be present, Mikalsen said.

“This move was clearly a part of [Wood’s] strategy and is a despicable turn of events,” Mikalsen said. “It shows the perversion of his moral character.”

Mikalsen added even though both parties have performed deceitful maneuvers over the years, a representative taking advantage of the death of a loved one is a depressing new low.

Wood denies motioning for the vote simply due to Nass’s unexpected absence.

In a Friday statement, Wood stated he brought the resolution forward Friday morning since it was the first week the Assembly had been in session after the resolution was released from committee, and the last week the issue could be reconciled before his court date today.

“It was unfortunate Rep. Nass couldn’t be here on either session day this week, and my condolences go out to his family,” Wood said in the statement.

Wood added he believed Nass made clear his presence was not a necessity at every event concerning the resolution when he skipped the public hearing on the expulsion March 2.

After Wood’s motion but before the vote, a fierce debate ensued over not only which side to take on the issue, but also on the propriety or lack thereof of voting on the resolution in Nass’s absence.

Rep. Michael Huebsch, R-West Salem, argued the resolution should be discussed in the light of day with greater than two or three hours notice since it is an issue which the body has not dealt with in 93 years.

Rep. Pedro Colon, D-Milwaukee, disagreed, stating Wood has a right to achieve finality in order to tell the judge on Monday how the issue was handled legally.

Another date for review of the resolution has yet to be set.