Edmund Manydeeds named to UW System Board of Regents

Gov. Jim Doyle appointed Edmund Manydeeds III to the University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents Thursday.

Manydeeds will succeed Regent Eileen Connolly-Keesler, whose term on the board expires this year, and will serve on the board until his term expires in 2017.

Manydeeds previously served on Doyle’s Judicial Selection Committee, as well as worked for the Office of Lawyer Regulation.

The UW Board of Regents oversees the approval of budgets and sets tuition and admission standards for all 26 schools of the UW System. It includes 18 members from various judicial and legislative backgrounds.

Manydeeds said his two main goals for the term are to continue the incorporation of minority students into the UW System, as well as help continue the system’s top-notch standing.

After graduating from UW-Superior with a Bachelor of Arts, he went on to graduate with a Juris Doctorate from the UW Law School.

UW System spokesperson David Giroux said he hoped for a big impact upon Manydeeds’ start May 1, 2010.

Manydeeds has high hopes for himself as a regent. Coming from a family who has gone through the UW school system, Manydeeds said that his interest in the Board of Regents came from his history in UW-Superior and UW-Madison.

He said he attributes much of his personal achievement to the schools that helped him become highly successful professionally and is looking forward to working with prominent re-appointee Mark Bradley, as well as the rest of the Board.

“I cannot help but feel enriched by the experience; I’ll be working with an impressive set of Regents,” Manydeeds said.

He commended the Board of Regents for their work thus far and is looking forward to working with them beginning in May.

Manydeeds hopes to bring a fresh perspective to the Board. He said there are many issues with student life and education.

“I want to bring in a perspective from my professional ethics background — someone who has been through the system and has a lot of history as well,” Manydeeds said.