Workforce considers snow removal change

A work group comprised of city staff and elected officials convened Monday and heard recommendations regarding snow removal after the city’s handling of it was criticized following heavy snowfall in early December.

This was the rescheduled third meeting of the Common Council Work Group to Review Snow Policies and Procedures that was canceled due to snow a few weeks ago. Street Superintendent Al Schumacher, of the city’s Department of Public Works, presented the suggested enhancements in service to the work group.

The improvements were drafted to address complaints while keeping the city budget in mind. The largest onslaught of complaints stemmed from the snowstorm of December 8-9, which buried Madison in 14 inches of snow.

“We’re here because of the storm in December,” Ald. Chris Schmidt, District 11, said during the meeting.

Schumacher is recommending five roadside pavement sensors be installed. The city currently has five mobile units that are mounted in supervisory vehicles. The sensors determine the temperature of the pavement, and the Streets Division can decide whether to use de-icing material or rely on air temperature. Schumacher said he estimates the initial cost to be about $14,075.

The work group also discussed the installation of GPS units in privately contracted vehicles. GPS could be used to track plows in real time to city residents.

“I don’t think something with GPS and the web is going to happen by next year,” Sarah Edgerton, city of Madison webmaster said, due to the high cost of developing the system and training staff.

Currently, the city plows all 766 miles of streets when snow accumulation is three inches or greater. On average, this happens five times a year. The city has 30 salt routes covering approximately one-third of the city, while all other streets receive only sand to help with braking on hills and at intersections and curves.

Schumacher suggested adding four new salt routes. This would not add miles or more city streets receiving salt, but would simply allow the city to lay salt and plow the salt routes more quickly with four extra drivers.

Schumacher calculated the cost of changing the threshold to two inches. On average, Madison has nine snow events that accumulate to more than two inches, thus adding four additional plowing events. At $200,000 each, four days more would be an increase of $800,000.

The work group also discussed leaf collection, stump removal, brush collection services and staffing the city’s self-help drop off sites. Overall, the plan suggests adding roughly 25 workers, but this does not account for overlap across the facets.

Ald. Tim Bruer, District 14, said at the next meeting the workgroup plans to develop specific recommendations for the City Council. The meeting will be held in early April.

Schumacher summarized the winter with numbers, stating there were three declared snow emergencies on the year. He said there were almost 2,100 snow emergency violations and about 26,000 violations of alternate side parking.

“Snow removal and the safety associated with it is clearly on the top of the tax-payers agenda,” Bruer said.