Assembly approves legislation that may lower cost of prescriptions

The Assembly passed a bill Thursday that legislators hope will lower the amount of money people pay for prescription drugs.

The bill would exempt pharmacies from the Unfair Sales Act or “minimum markup” law prohibiting the sale of merchandise at a cost below what sellers originally paid.

The law is intended to curb predatory pricing practices that favor larger businesses, but many lawmakers believe pharmaceutical drugs are an exception.

“Wisconsin is one of the few states in the nation where people are not able to take advantage of low-cost prescription drugs offered by retailers,” said Rep. Jon Richards, D-Milwaukee, who chairs the Assembly Committee on Health and Healthcare Reform. “It’s in everyone’s interest to allow people all the access possible.”

Many business and trade organizations support the bill, which garnered bipartisan support in the Assembly.

“Today, we’re coming together, Democrats and Republicans, businesses and labor, to say we’re going to remove the fine print and allow people to take advantage of these low-cost prescription drugs,” Richards said.

But many in Wisconsin’s pharmaceutical industry don’t prescribe to the bill’s advantages, including Wisconsin Independent Businesses, an organization representing a number of small pharmacies.

“The independent pharmacy offers a whole variety of services to make sure the variety of drugs the patient is taking are effective and safe, whereas at Wal-Mart you can just walk up to the counter… and you’re out the door,” WIB spokesman Mike Metz said. “It’s just a big business vs. small independent business type of view.”

The Pharmacy Society of Wisconsin voiced their similar displeasure with the bill in a public hearing in October 2009.

“Buying a medication at one pharmacy and buying another medication from a pharmacy across town or over the internet leads to a patient splitting up their prescription drug record — creating the possibility for drug interactions and other health care complications,” PSW President Lynne Dittman said at the hearing.

But the removal of regulation was precisely the reason many Republicans voted in favor of the Democratic-authored bill.

“The market can take care of itself, so unfortunately if the smaller guy can’t make it, they can’t make it,” said Rep. Scott Newcomer, R-Pewaukee, who helped author the bill. “If people want to go in, get it quick and get it out with the lowest cost, that’s what we have the Wal-Marts for.”

Both Richards and Newcomer agreed the bipartisan support was a good step toward reforming healthcare, despite recent setbacks at the national level.

“I think there is certainly bipartisan agreement to be had on a few issues; it’s frustrating to see what’s been happening in Washington,” Richards said. “Here in Wisconsin we’re taking a different tact and we’re saying there is a way for Democrats and Republicans to come together on issues that really do reduce the cost of health care for people.”

“It bodes well; it’s definitely a piece of the puzzle,” Newcomer said. “We have to provide quality healthcare at an affordable price with good access, and I think this bill does that.”