UW pedestrian hit by car, gets ticketed

Intersection_LK
A UW student was cited for sudden pedestrian movement after being struck by a car near Smith Hall.[/media-credit]

Early Friday morning a University of Wisconsin student was struck by a vehicle while crossing a road near campus, and was subsequently given a sudden pedestrian movement ticket for her part in the incident.

A report from the Madison Police Department said at approximately 7:15 a.m. Friday, an oncoming vehicle hit the 19-year-old woman as she attempted to cross Park Street at its intersection with Spring Street near Smith residence hall.

Joel DeSpain, spokesperson for MPD, confirmed the victim is a University of Wisconsin student and that her injuries are not believed to be extensive. However, the outcome could have been much worse, he added.

“From what we know now, the injuries are not very serious, though I can only imagine they were painful,” DeSpain said.

DeSpain said the victim was attempting to cross the street to catch a bus. No matter the urgency of the situation, he added, pedestrians should take adequate time to double-check their surroundings to ensure their own safety.

The MPD report said a parked construction vehicle might have impaired the victim’s view of the street. Following this, the victim allegedly ran into the street believing the way to be clear, when she was struck in the leg, receiving injuries to the knee.

Following the initial collision, the victim was transported to an area hospital for treatment of her injuries.

The report states the driver was not found to be speeding at the time of the collision and was not cited for their part in the incident. The victim, on the other hand, was not only injured in the collision, but was also given a citation for sudden pedestrian movement.

The victim’s offense can bring a fine of $76.20.

Madison’s ordinances describe sudden pedestrian movement as essentially darting out into traffic without first properly ensuring the safety to cross. It notes the obstruction of view by parked vehicles, buildings and signage as contributing factors.

With a large part of the university’s student population being pedestrians, complications resulting from inattentiveness or haste are bound to occur, DeSpain said.