New restaurant Brickhouse BBQ set to open February 17

Madison residents will soon be able to enjoy a new range of barbeque styles and comfort foods with the opening of Brickhouse BBQ later this month.

Set to open Feb. 17, Brickhouse BBQ bar manager Ian Gort said the establishment intends to offer a variety of barbeque styles, from Kansas City to Memphis to the restaurant’s own signature recipes.

“We won’t be strictly adhering to any orthodox idea of Southern barbeque,” Gort said.

The restaurant owners, Hyungirl and Jongyean Lee, own numerous properties familiar to Madison residents and students including Badger Liquor, Churchkey Pub and Grill, and Samba Brazilian Grill.

Situated at 408 W. Gorham St., Brickhouse BBQ resides next to another of the Lees’ properties, Riley’s Wines of the World.

Gort, who is also an employee of Riley’s, said the restaurant intends to be a welcoming place for all Madison residents, underage and otherwise.

Brickhouse BBQ will offer various specials on drinks and comfort foods prepared by the chef from Samba.

Gort said the restaurant’s smoker will be an integral part of the Brickhouse menu, offering dishes both authentic and innovative.

“We’re going to be a restaurant first and a bar second,” Gort said. “We want to be a restaurant that is open to everyone.”

The restaurant is expected to be open for lunch daily and close sometime right before bar time, Gort said.

He added there may be plans for a takeout window to facilitate residents on the move. Entertainment is expected to be offered pending licenses through the city’s Alcohol License Review Committee.

Ald. Mike Verveer, who represents District 4 where the restaurant is located, said the Lee couple have eight liquor licenses in the downtown area and many of their businesses have been successful.

“It’s going to be a great addition to the downtown area,” Verveer said. “There really is no traditional barbeque place in the downtown area, it’s fantastic that they are going to be able to fill that void with a niche restaurant that we just don’t have.”