UW senior dies of bacterial meningitis; memorial service today

University of Wisconsin senior Neha Suri died Tuesday afternoon from bacterial meningitis and a memorial service is planned in her honor today.

Suri was a journalism and political science major from Singapore who worked for Recreational Sports at the SERF and wrote for the Daily Cardinal, among being involved in other campus activities.

“We’re tremendously saddened at this news,” Dean of Students Lori Berquam said in a statement. “The outpouring of love toward Neha and her family has been absolutely remarkable. It is a rare thing, and I know people will appreciate the person she was and the impact she had on so many.”

Suri was rushed to the hospital Jan. 25 and was in an induced coma as of Jan. 26 due to bacterial meningitis, after which she remained in critical condition. Members of Suri’s family began arriving Jan. 25 and her mother arrived from Singapore Jan. 26.

After a week in critical condition, Suri died Tuesday afternoon.

Meningitis is a rare and serious bacterial infection that is dangerous due to its lack of specific symptoms, University Health Services Director Sarah Van Orman said.

All of Suri’s roommates were treated with antibiotics immediately after she was admitted to the hospital, said a UW statement. It added that UHS is coordinating with Public Health Madison-Dane County to monitor the situation.

Van Orman added in the release that Suri’s case is currently not a health risk to members of the university community.

The university has already planned a memorial service in her honor today at 4:30 p.m. in the Virginia F. Harrison Parlor in Lathrop Hall.

Berquam said a number of people will be speaking at the memorial service, including Suri’s roommates, faculty, family and friends.

“[W]e all mourn Neha…,” said her family and friends in a message distributed by the School of Journalism and Mass Communication. “If there is anything Neha has given us all, it is her steady glow of love and affection, a reminder to our best selves, and something to forever hold as we go forward all the days of our lives.”

~Carolyn Briggs contributed to this report

Editor’s Note: We at The Badger Herald are deeply saddened by the death of Neha Suri and wish to express our condolences to her family and friends. No words can fill the void left by our fellow student, but an outpouring of love and affection from the campus community for her loved ones can help restore the goodwill and joy she surely brought to those around her.