State law bans alcohol from TCF stadium

The TCF Bank stadium at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities holds 50,000 seats, more than 9,000 tons of steel and currently not a single drop of alcohol.

As of the 2009 season, the University of Minnesota Board of Regents complied with a law passed by the state Legislature and banned the sale of alcohol in the stadium completely.

Previously, UM-Twin Cities sold alcohol in a large section of premium seating and used the revenue to help repay the debt for the stadium. This plan was approved by the Board of Regents in 2008.

With the ban in place, many feel that the stadium is losing an important revenue strain. However, opponents to the ban planned to wait out the current season in hopes of revisiting it at the next Board of Regents meeting.

With the next Board of Regents meeting coming up soon, any revisiting of this issue seems unlikely.

Vice-Chair of the Board of Regents Linda Cohen said the board would most likely “let [the ban] stay the way it is.”

“There are so many more important things…,” Cohen said. “[These things] are not very dramatic, but [are] very important to the upkeep of university buildings.”

Such projects coming before the Board of Regents at the next meeting include a new physics and nanotechnology building at UM-Twin Cities, a Native American studies building on the UM-Duluth campus and an updating of Folwell Hall, an important languages building on the UM-Twin Cities campus.

Currently, the University of Wisconsin follows an alcohol vending policy similar to the one proposed and approved in 2008 at the TCF Bank Stadium.

“We don’t sell alcohol at our home athletic events, aside from the fact that it’s available in the suites,” Justin Doherty, UW assistant athletic director for external relations, said in an e-mail.

He added any such ban on the sale of alcohol in the suites at the UW seems unlikely.

The Golden Gophers, however, will likely be looking at another dry season from the box seats.