Nitty managers may take over

Marsh Shapiro, the owner the Nitty Gritty on Johnson Street, is planning to sell the bar to two of his longtime managers, according to records filed with the city clerk.

The pair applying for the new liquor license, Nitty Gritty employees Eric Suemicht and Lee Pier, have a combined management experience of 21 years at the establishment, according to the application.

The liquor license application filed with the city clerk is the process that indicates a change in hands of the liquor license. Another document was also filed with the city clerk: a transfer of ownership — which is a letter in which the previous liquor license holder surrenders the license and is filed concurrently with a liquor license application for a change in ownership in any liquor and/or beer establishment.

The letter was signed by Shapiro Nov. 9.

The application for the liquor license will have to be approved by the Alcohol License Review Committee, and then confirmed by the City Council before the official transfer can take place.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said he expects a seamless transition of ownership, and does not expect any major changes to the establishment. Verveer said he thinks the restaurant will continue to be a popular destination.

He added the two managers have been talking with him for years about possibly taking over the restaurant.

According to the application, Suemicht and Pier project they will continue with the birthday theme of the bar, and they also expect to continue drawing in customers who attend events at the Kohl Center. The hours serving food will also be the same as the current operation, the application said.

Verveer said Suemicht and Pier already have experience in managing the restaurant, and they are already part owners of the Nitty Gritty location in Middleton

“I have known them for many years, and they are capable and competent in their duties,” Verveer said.

Shapiro served on the ALRC as the representative for the Tavern League of Dane County. However, he recently resigned from this position.

The potential buyers would not confirm the sale since it is still pending. Shapiro was not available for comment.