UW-Stout cafeterias go green

In an initiative toward going green, University of Wisconsin-Stout replaced its disposable to-go containers with compostable packaging for carryout food and beverages.

UW-Stout began to shift toward offering compostable containers following Chancellor Charles Sorenson’s signing of the American College and University Presidents’ Climate Commitment to reduce greenhouse gasses with sustainability efforts, according to Ann Thies, director of dining services for UW-Stout.

“The use of compostable products reduces the amount of greenhouse gasses released into environment because of their production methods,” Thies said.

The materials for the compostable containers derive from plant starches, sugar cane and paper made from stalks of field corn.

The search for inexpensive containers began about two years ago, according to Thies.

“In recent years, full companies have sprouted up with more compostable products,” Thies said. “[Compost containers] are at a lot of our sister campuses across the nation and it’s been a growing thing in colleges and universities.”

The UW-Stout dining staff also intended to make the campus more environmentally conscious, Thies said. As a result, 80 percent of the products used for to-go packaging across the campus’ nine dining establishments have been replaced with compostable materials.

UW-Stout is currently using a company called Eco-Products. Based in Colorado, Eco-Products supplies compostable cups, containers, plates, bowls and cutlery. The products are nearly twice as costly as non-eco containers; however, Thies said hopefully as the companies grow the cost will go down and become more readily available.

The potential to use these containers in compost piles will be realized if the UW-Stout administration arranges a partnership with the Veolia composting site, according to Thies.

The UW-Madison campus has also taken some steps toward going green in the food service department. According to Brian Burke, UW food service manager, the department has gone to great lengths to make sure they have recycled content in the containers and packages for food and beverages.

New plastic trays made from a portion of recycled material in nearly every campus dining hall are among the eco-friendly contributions the department has made.

Introduced at the end of the summer, composting bins are being used at both Pop’s Club and Frank’s Place, Burke said, and other units are waiting for their bins.

Off-campus composting is arranged at the West Madison Agricultural Research Station. The Wisconsin Union and UW Athletics also participate in the effort of collecting compost matter. Lakeshore dorm Cole Hall will also be building a greenhouse learning community in the fall, where the dormitory hopes to contribute its collection of compost as well.

In addition, Gordon Commons holds a burner for recycled fry oil that was used in other campus kitchens.

If successful, UW food service will introduce a new waste system students would be able to use for food leftovers — provided that meats, cheeses and oils are filtered accordingly, said Burke.

On the dining room lines, re-usable translucent food containers are offered at various campus eateries from a Texas company. Burke said he hopes they will be used and returned by students.