New partnership to bring strength to Wisc. economy

Assembly Speaker Mike Sheridan, D-Janesville, announced the creation of a partnership Monday that aims to create new economic development strategies to build on current legislative efforts to stabilize and strengthen Wisconsin’s economy.

Wisconsin’s Partnership for a Stronger Economy aims to open up a long-term dialogue between a group of Wisconsin business and workforce leaders and bipartisan lawmakers to create a new way of doing business in the state, Sheridan spokesperson Rebekah Sweeney said.

Sweeney also said Wisconsin has become a more business-friendly state, citing how Assembly Democrats authorized over $200 million worth of new job creation incentives that led to the early success of business growth incentives in about 37 counties.

“More businesses are coming into the state, settling down and building up. We are trying to build on this success by bringing the job creators to the table to ask what to do and how to improve even more,” Sweeney said.

In addition, Rep. Louis Molepske, D-Stevens Point, said the partnership will provide an opportunity to speak plainly about regulatory issues, such as what factors prohibit growth and what changes should be made.

“Balancing the budget while consolidating the economy is going to help (the) next generation of jobs. That’s a big deal, and that’s how we bring the future industry like biotech firms from Minnesota,” Molepske said. “Ultimately, we want to craft policies that have lasting consequences for tomorrow.”

However, he cautiously warned the collaboration will only work if both business leaders and legislators want to work with each other.

In reaction to this warning, the two current members of the partnership showed optimism. Chairman and CEO of Quintessence Biosciences Ralph Kauten praised the idea of teamwork implied by the program.

“[The partnership] elaborates the whole concept of ‘united we stand, divided we fall,'” Kauten said. “The recognition of collaboration represents continuing evolution of the relationship between the government and businesses.”

Phil Neuenfeldt, secretary and treasurer of the Wisconsin branch of the American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations, also praised the partnership and said the AFL-CIO is glad to be included in the group.

“In this economy, it’s very important to bring various people together to talk about jobs, because Wisconsin has been suffering from unemployment and recession,” Neuenfeldt said. “We are very anxious to be part of the discussion.”

Neuenfeldt added union members will be directly affected by the collaboration, as the partnership addresses job security and opportunities for direct involvement.

Although Sweeney explained new members will be added throughout the year, there are currently no Republican Assembly members present in the program.

According to Jim Bender, spokesperson for Assembly Minority Leader Jeff Fitzgerald, R-Horicon, Republicans are discussing the possibility of their involvement in the program with the Speaker’s office.