CALS vice dean makes his pitch for provost position

The first of three candidates for the academic affairs provost position at the University of Wisconsin spoke to the university community Wednesday afternoon to explain exactly why he would be the perfect fit for the job.”

Irwin Goldman, current vice dean and associate dean for research in the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences at UW, said his main goal if hired will be to ?”weave together” the elements of?academic freedom, shared governance, the Wisconsin idea and the promotion of diversity.??

“I?look at the job of the provost as knitting together some of those different elements, some of those different pieces and bringing that fabric together into one,” he said. “And honestly there has to be some effort to repair them when they come apart. But this weaving of the thread through the many elements of the campus is certainly something that must be done by the provost and the provost’s office.”??

Goldman also highlighted compliance and efficiency within the university as key issues he thinks need to be reexamined. He added delivering “honest assessments” are essential, including those of possibly stopping programs or initiatives that are no longer effective.??

“Having a dialogue in a meaningful way is an absolutely critical responsibility if we are going to fulfill the mandate that’s laid out in the campus strategic framework, which is: be responsible stewards of our resources.”??

Attendees expressed their concerns for a multitude of issues, including salary inadequacies, lack of diversity and overall funding difficulties.??

Goldman said while he is similarly troubled by many of the same issues, he also admitted he’d be entering the job with a few blind spots ahead.??

“It’s important that I can say what I do know, but maybe even more important that I can articulate what I don’t know,” he said. “I think this stresses the importance of a close cabinet, communications that are clear, a consultative style and honestly, and maybe most important, a certain level of humility going into the tremendous complexity of a role like this.”?

Murray Kappel, a previous student of Goldman, said Goldman was both an outstanding professor and advisor.??

“To this day, I still regard him as a model of who I hope to be,” Kappel added. “As I’ve kept up with his advocacy for students in the news, I continue to be impressed by his commitment to academia in general, and to engendering student success in particular.”?

Paul DeLuca Jr., vice dean and associate dean for research and graduate studies at the UW School of Medicine and Public Health will present May 28. Richard Moss, chair of the Department of Physiology in the UW School of Medicine and Public Health will conclude the presentations June 1.??