UW to look at Mexico trips

Due to the recent outbreak of swine flu in several countries, universities and students throughout the University of Wisconsin System are choosing to reconsider study abroad programs in Mexico.?

Presently, an outbreak of swine flu is speculated to have originated in Mexico, a popular vacation and study abroad destination.?Thus far, this particular strain is suspected to have caused at least 100 deaths in Mexico.

UW-Stout spokesperson Doug Mell said students at the university are torn between following through with their plans to study abroad and following the flu warnings to change their travel plans.

“We do have one student studying abroad in Mexico this semester,” Mell said. “She is studying at a university there, and her semester ends May 19, but all schools in Mexico have been temporarily closed until May 6. We’re obviously doing everything we can to help her while she figures out if she wants to stay or come home now.”

Mell said UW-Stout has received no formal complaints regarding how it is handling the situation and their various program and therefore has no plans to cancel its study abroad programs in Mexico.

He added the university is, however, encouraging students to explore other options.

“Obviously it’s up to the individual student,” Mell said. “At this point, though, it looks pretty clear that it would be an unwise decision to go to Mexico, and they should really look into alternate options.”

Two other UW-Stout students were signed up for a program in Mexico this summer, but they are now working with the university’s Office of International Education to look into other options, Mell said.

Although UW-Stout has not officially cancelled any study abroad programs, other UW universities are taking a more precautionary approach to the situation.

UW-Eau Claire has decided to cancel a summer study abroad program intended to send 23 students to Mexico for six weeks, according to a university statement.

The affected students will instead have the opportunity to study in Costa Rica or other locations of their choice.

The program was canceled based on reports from the Centers for Disease Control, World Health Organization and the U.S. State Department, all of which have cautioned people against traveling to Mexico because of the swine flu outbreak.

UW-Madison, however, is not encouraging students to cancel their travel plans. Its study abroad program said in a statement that since both the CDC and the WHO are both not recommending people avoid travel at this time, they have no intentions of discontinuing any 2009 summer programs in Mexico.?

In addition, UW-Madison officials will continue to monitor any developments regarding the outbreak.