Mayor announces committee appointments for new alders

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz announced the committee appointments for the new Madison alders in student districts Friday.

Ald.-elect Bryon Eagon, District 8 and Ald.-elect Bridget Maniaci, District 2, were elected to the City Council April 7.

Cieslewicz said in a statement he is excited to be working with both alders. Eagon and Maniaci are both “sharp young leaders” who will be hardworking members on the City Council, he said.

Representing District 2, Maniaci will serve on the East Washington/Capitol Gateway Build Steering Committee, the Housing Committee, the Landmarks Commission and the Sister City Collaboration Committee.

“I campaigned on many housing and neighborhood issues in my district and there’s a lot of great work to be done,” Maniaci said in a statement. “I’m very happy that my committee appointments will enable me to serve the concerns of my district so closely.”

Eagon was appointed to the Downtown Coordinating Committee, the Joint Southeast Campus Area Committee, the Pedestrian/Bicycle/Motor Vehicle Commission and the Public Safety Review Board.

Eagon said in a statement he is excited to represent students on the council working on his designated committees will help advance the University of Wisconsin campus and downtown community.

“These committees encompass so many issues that students care about and I can’t wait to hit the ground running very soon,” Eagon said.

The mayor also announced Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, will continue to serve on Alcohol License Review Committee, the Senior Center Board of Directors, the Downtown Coordinating Committee, the Board of Estimates, the Joint Southeast Campus Area Committee, the MATC Downtown Education Advisory Committee, the Madison Cultural Arts District Board, Madison’s Central Business Improvement District Board and the Vending Oversight Committee.

According to Verveer, he spoke to both Eagon and Maniaci about their committee appointments and both are pleased. He added Eagon and Maniaci were placed on many of the committees they sought from the mayor.

“Many issues addressed by their various committees have an impact in their respected districts in many ways,” Verveer said. “They were good appointments.”

Eagon and Maniaci will be officially inducted onto the city council April 21.