Martin provides update on tuition hike

With the Madison Initiative for Undergraduates proposal scheduled to be sent to University of Wisconsin System officials Thursday, Chancellor Biddy Martin sent an e-mail to students last week updating them on the direction the initiative is taking.

The e-mail outlined several updates to the proposal, which was originally announced March 24. The updates concern common questions asked by students and details on the parts of the proposal that have been deemed especially important or were added after its initial unveiling.

The Associated Students of Madison will vote Wednesday on whether they support the initiative. The UW System Board of Regents will vote on the proposal at their May meeting.

Martin said in an e-mail to The Badger Herald the final draft of the proposal contains 10 aspects that were not included in the original draft. These include the creation of advisory and oversight committees, peer-mentoring proposals, a greater level of detail on what the revenue could be used for and greater transparency about the financial aid provision.

The shared governance committee and ASM subcommittee are currently being planned. The committees would offer guidance to the chancellor on ways revenue from the initiative could be spent.

According to Dean of Students Lori Berquam, the ASM committee would be responsible for the student service aspect of the initiative. The oversight committee would make overall recommendations to the chancellor directly.

Martin also noted in her e-mail to students that an updated PowerPoint has been posted to the Madison Initiative for Undergraduates site outlining further updates to the proposal. It includes possible faculty hires under the plan, including 75 hires within the College of Letters and Sciences and 17 others.

Martin said the e-mail was sent because, through updates, students gain “information, understanding and an opportunity to respond.”

Berquam said the e-mail falls into a commitment voiced early on by the chancellor to be transparent throughout the process of developing the initiative.

“The entire process has been one where the chancellor invited people to participate, to engage people,” Berquam said. ” … I think one of the goals of the chancellor has been no student should not know what this is about so we can all fully understand and be thoughtful about engaging in the conversation.”

The Madison Initiative for Undergraduates would increase in-state tuition by $250 and out-of-state tuition by $750 per year over a four-year period, after which rates will top out at $1,000 and $3,000, respectively, more than current rates.

“I appreciate your requests for detail, your suggestions about how we could clarify the various components of the proposal, and your recommendations for additional elements,” Martin said in her e-mail to students. “I hope, in answering your questions, being available for discussion and incorporating key recommendations, I have been able to demonstrate my commitment to ensuring that your voices are part of the proposal and its implementation.”