Meriter to open West Washington medical clinic

Meriter Hospital announced this week they will open a third medical clinic in downtown Madison in fall 2009.

The new 15,000 square-foot clinic will be located in the Capitol West Development at 345 W. Washington Ave., between Broom and Henry Streets.

The clinic will be a primary care clinic staffed by Meriter Medical Group internal medicine physicians. These physicians will provide basic affordable health care services, Mae Knowles, spokesperson for Meriter Hospital, said.

Knowles added the doctors available at the clinic will have the power to refer patients to specialists on a case-by-case basis.

Additionally, the clinic will provide laboratory, medical imaging services and minor surgical procures, according to a statement.

Meriter’s decision to open a third clinic was a response to the growing population of people working and living downtown.

“People have told us they want services 10 miles within places where they work and live,” Knowles said.

Funding for the new clinic will not be an issue because Meriter is leasing the space, Knowles said, adding the clinic will be self-sustaining.

The new clinic will be leased through the Alexander Company, an urban development business.

According to Dan Peterson, spokesperson for the Alexander Company, the Capitol West Development will create a mixed-use block that, in addition to the health clinic, will house condominiums, a hotel and retail stores.

“We are trying to bring amenities to people living downtown (and) we are doing this by creating a mixed-use block,” Peterson said.

Rachel Strauch-Nelson, spokesperson for Mayor Dave Cieslewicz, said the mayor is pleased to add another downtown health clinic to the city because it will open new jobs and provide health care to Madison residents.

This is the second time 345 W. Washington Ave. will serve as a medical clinic. In 1981, the building housed the Jackson Clinic.

Meriter’s first clinic opened in Middleton because there was a need for health care after a primary care unit closed, Knowles said. Meriter currently has two fast-care clinics that serve minor medical needs, including sore throats and skin and ear infections.