Beer garden under new guidelines

The Plan Commission passed new regulations for a Monroe Street bar Monday night after the establishment received criticism for not complying with city policy.

According to Madison City Division Director Brad Murphy, the Madison County Planning and Zoning Commission fears the Stadium Sports Bar and Eatery exceeds its holding capacity and keeps its doors open during special events later than area regulations permit.

The bar owner, Thomas Beach, submitted a plan to the commission detailing new operating procedures for his establishment to respond to these concerns.

“We have met with all the city staff members,” Beach said. “We have put into our plan everything they have asked us to put in.”

With the exception of home Badger football games, new operating procedures will require the bar to close at 10 p.m. Additionally, the bar must limit its standing space outdoors and construct a more attractive fence, Murphy said.

“The issue [with a standing-only drinking area] is if you can’t put your beer down, you drink it very fast,” Ald. Lauren Cnare, District 3, said.

Despite this concern, the bar is allowed to use a larger outdoor beer garden where patrons can stand and consume alcohol during Badger football game days.

However, the commission refused the bar’s request to extend operating hours or use a large beer garden during other special events such as the Crazylegs race.

During normal business days, the bar is now limited to hosting a few tables next to the building.

The new regulations also require the bar to notify Madison Police 48 hours before large events, Cnare said.

According to Beach, each of the bar’s four exits and one entrance to the bar during Wisconsin Badger home football games will now be staffed with off-duty police officers who will be fully uniformed and able to make arrests.

Having only one entrance will allow staff to better monitor the number of patrons and comply with the city’s capacity standards, Beach said.

In addition, the new regulations allow a third sand volleyball court to be built beside the bar.

Beach said his establishment is the only bar in the Isthmus area to provide residents with a bar volleyball league. That is why there is demand for another court.

Area residents have complained about the noise from whistle-blowing during volleyball games and from sound equipment, according to Beach. He added there is no noise complaints regarding the amount of people brought to the bar due to volleyball games.

Although Cnare said she sympathizes with residents who are irritated by noise and inebriated bar patrons, she said she feels the bar and the city reached a good compromise.

“In a city like this, we’re always going to have contentions,” Cnare said. “But if we can meet halfway, I’m satisfied. And I think we got there tonight.”