Obama drops stem cell limits

obama
President Barack Obama lifted the limits on federal funding for embryonic stem cell research Monday.[/media-credit]

In an executive order signed Monday, President Barack Obama lifted limits on federal funding for embryonic stem cell research imposed by former President George W. Bush, igniting a flurry of support and opposition in one of the nation’s ongoing debates.

Obama delivered a speech to members of Congress to discuss the impact the action will have on the science community. Throughout his speech, the president reiterated that continued research must be completed to understand the full potential of embryonic stem cells.

“At this moment, the full promise of stem cell research remains unknown, and it should not be overstated. But scientists believe these tiny cells may have the potential to help us understand, and possibly cure, some of our most devastating diseases and conditions,” Obama said, according to a White House transcript.

According to Terry Devitt, director of research communications at the University of Wisconsin, several UW scientists and leaders in the field of stem cell research were invited to Obama’s meeting in Washington D.C., including James Thomson, Tim Kamp, Derek Hei, Clive Svenden and Alta Charo.

For years, Wisconsin has been recognized as leading the development of stem cell research after James Thomson isolated and cultured human embryonic stem cells in 1998. Since then, UW has received support from the state and numerous private donors like the Michael J. Fox Foundation, Devitt said.

In the coming months, Congress will distribute federal assistance for stem cell programs throughout the nation. Devitt added he feels confident Wisconsin will fare well against other institutions.

“We’ve always done very well competing for federal money, including for embryonic stem cell research, and we probably have several millions of dollars of grants in play right now with federal money,” Devitt said.

The lifting of the limits was met with both praise and criticism by lawmakers throughout the state.

Gov. Jim Doyle supports the executive order, according to a statement, adding the purpose of stem cell research is to cure illnesses and save lives.

According to Doyle spokesperson Lee Sensenbrenner, the governor has many plans to help scientists who make new discoveries and pioneer technology to help save lives, and has consistently spoken on behalf of stem cell research.

“We have done our part and, now you know, this is something the governor’s pushed for a long time and we’re seeing it happen on the federal level,” Sensenbrenner said.

However, not everyone shared the governor’s viewpoint.

Wisconsin Right To Life Executive Director Barbara Lyons said she was disappointed in Obama’s decision to lift the ban and feels science is going in another direction.

With the discovery of induced pluripotent stem cells, science is moving away from embryonic stem cells, Lyons added.

IPS cells are derived from an adult somatic cell and can be obtained from human skin cells. They offer the same benefits as embryonic stem cells without the need for cells from sterile embryos.

“It’s disappointing that President Obama is allowing his ideology to trump science. He’s actually going backwards in time because with the discovery of IPS cells in late 2007, science is rapidly moving in that direction,” Lyons said. “I don’t think it’s any question that Obama’s leading us in the wrong direction by his avid and adamant support of abortion, and now of course adding the destruction of human embryos.”

State legislators from the Republican Party stand with Lyons and believe Obama’s executive order is the wrong decision.

In an e-mail to The Badger Herald, Kristen Kukowski, spokesperson for the Republican Party, said Republicans feel IPS cell research wasn’t given enough thought.

In his speech, the president made no mention of alternative research in stem cells. He turned focus toward the restrictions that have been in place the past eight years and refuted morals as a basis to discontinue research.

Kimberly Liedl, spokesperson for Sen. Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau, noted morals are the basis for Fitzgerald’s opinions and that Obama’s support for questionable procedures was something Fitzgerald was in opposition of.