WI to get $30 million for cops

Police_RM
State and local law enforcement was granted federal aid Friday to strengthen Wisconsin\’s judicial system.[/media-credit]

President Barack Obama announced Friday that Wisconsin will receive $30 million in funding for state and local law enforcement from the 2009 Recovery Act.

According to a White House statement, the funding will be available through the Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant Program, which helps hire law enforcement officials and aims to strengthen the justice system through its different levels, including support for courts and corrections.

The money will ensure police and prosecutors’ offices do not suffer from cuts as a result of the state’s harsh economic climate.

Gov. Jim Doyle said he agrees with the president and believes public safety plays a crucial role in drawing businesses into various areas around the state.

According to Ryan Sugden, spokesperson for the Office of Justice Assistance, if crime and corruption are high, businesses will not want to stay in the area.

“Some of the most basic things that the public expects are police service and safe communities,” Sugden said. “With these investments we can invest in a way that will reap benefits down the line.”

According to Sugden, the federal government created a formula to determine the specific allotment of funding for Wisconsin. The formula is based off the population a law enforcement agency serves and the number of violent offenses that occur in that jurisdiction.

Local cities and municipalities receive 40 percent of the stimulus money, while 60 percent is awarded directly to the state.

Plans for spending federal stimulus money are still being crafted, but legislators want to address current problems and look ahead to future developments as well, Sugden added.

However, some lawmakers are apprehensive to begin investing in long-term programs due to the uncertainty of the country’s economic future.

Senate Minority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau, would rather focus more attention on fixing current crises than looking too far ahead, according to spokesperson Kimberly Liedl.

“Scott would be supportive of using the stimulus money for law enforcement; his only question would be using it for on-going programs,” Liedl said. “What happens in the next budget cycle when you don’t have the money for on-going programs?”

Sen. Fitzgerald and Assembly Minority Leader Rep. Jeff Fitzgerald, R-Horicon, are trying to keep the Legislature focused on issues currently facing the state such as the increase in unemployment.

To deal with these issues, Republican lawmakers created Wisconsin Jobs Now Task Force to work with employers around the state to find out what legislators can do to help them grow their business and find employees, Liedl said.

The taskforce will hold meetings in Green Bay, Milwaukee and Eau Claire. After feedback is collected, Fitzgerald and fellow Republicans plan to submit a report to Wisconsin Legislature in April with results and suggestions to help businesses.

Despite Republican concerns, the president advocated for the stimulus money in Friday’s statement, reiterating that it creates footholds in the long run.

“These funds are a vital component in our effort to not just revive our economy, but to build a new foundation for lasting prosperity and security,” Obama said.