Madison gas station pumped for cash

Shell_LK
Man steals cash at Shell gas station convenience store located on east side of Madison last Wednesday evening.[/media-credit]

The convenience store at a Shell gas station was robbed Wednesday evening by an unidentified man.

The store, located at 4821 E. Washington Ave., was raided by an armed thief at approximately 7 p.m., according to the incident report.

The perpetrator was seen carrying a handgun and proceeded to rob the facility. No injuries were incurred during the theft.

The amount of cash stolen was not disclosed because the case is currently pending. Sgt. Jennifer Krueger Favour of the Madison Police Department did not know if any other items were stolen at the time of the robbery.

According to the report, the perpetrator was described as a Caucasian male sporting a black hooded coat.

While details of the incident are scarce, Favour said the economic downfall may have played a role in the theft.

“Typically as the economy gets worse, we see more robberies. Around the holidays we tend to see more as well,” Favour said.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said he wants students to know this robbery does not greatly affect them. He added the robbery is far removed from the University of Wisconsin campus because the Shell station is on the far east side of Madison.

“It’s not a place that students go very often,” Verveer said. “Most armed robberies, particularly of convenience stores, tend to be away from the populated downtown campus areas.”

Verveer said a reason there are not many crimes around campus may be the increased number of police officers patrolling the campus area. He added there are larger crowds of people near UW, so there are more potential witnesses in the area, adding these types of robberies occur in less congested areas.

Verveer added there are few convenience stores near campus, which are often more susceptible to being robbed.

Shell declined to comment on the incident because the investigation is still pending.

Those with any information regarding this robbery or any other crime in the downtown area are advised to call Madison Crime Stoppers at (608) 266-6014.