City readies for snowfall

[media-credit name=’KRIS UGARRIZA/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]snow_KU[/media-credit]

With snow taking Madison by storm today, the University of Wisconsin has declared snow action day.

Although classes should continue as scheduled, university officials are deploying new snow removal machines and tightening parking regulations across campus.

Students are encouraged to not use their cars, bikes and mopeds and instead use buses to reduce traffic and accidents. There will also be signs at Memorial Union and the top of Bascom Hill to notify commuters whether the sharp turn on Observatory Drive is too dangerous for the 80, 81 and 85 Madison Metro buses to run

The University of Wisconsin may declare a snow action day, deploying new snow removal machines and tightening parking regulations across campus.

UW Associate Vice Chancellor for Facilities Alan Fish said this would serve as a way to increase campus awareness on days in which considerable amounts of snow and ice need to be moved. These alerts will not signify the cancellation of classes.

The city of Madison is reminding residents to avoid $60 parking fines, launching its text message alert system and preparing to dispatch extra plows.

With the forecast for a winter storm to continue as late as Wednesday, Madison Streets Division spokesperson George Dreckmann said he anticipates a snow emergency to be declared sometime today.

“Snow emergencies are declared typically when there are least three inches of snow from a single storm,” Dreckmann said.

Alternate side parking rules require vehicles to park on the side of the street with even numbered addresses on even numbered days and on the side of the street with odd numbered addresses on odd numbered days from 1 to 7 a.m., seven days a week from Nov. 15 to March 15.

Failing to abide by the alternate parking rule during a declared snow emergency could result in a $60 fine.

City parking ramps are free for non-metered parking spaces from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m. during snow emergencies.

“My advice is to first get your car off the street,” Dreckmann said. “Take advantage of the free parking ramps.”

Dreckmann said if there are no available off-street parking spaces, residents should abide by the alternate side parking rules if they want to avoid fines.

Even if a snow emergency is not been declared, plows and salt trucks will still clear high traffic streets and all routes to hospitals, fire and police stations and schools starting around 3 p.m and working through the night.

Sand trucks have also been deployed to tackle slippery patches in residential areas by either a city order or a resident’s request.

Plow updates, which provide a detailed itinerary of plow schedules and routes, can be registered at www.cityofmadison.com/winter. Also, subscribers can register for e-mail and text message alerts of city-declared snow emergencies.

“Minutes after we decide to declare snow emergency, we will send these messages,” Dreckmann said.

An automated message informing of declared snow emergencies can also be reached by phone at (608) 261-9111.

Those who feel unsafe traveling to class are encouraged to talk to their professors and teaching assistants about making up class.

— Kevin Bargnes and Jim O’Connell contributed to this report.