Student’s family urges fire safety

[media-credit name=’LUKAS KEAPPROTH/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]Talen_LK[/media-credit]

A proposed new fire safety ordinance is named in honor of University of Wisconsin-La Crosse student Peter Talen, who died one year ago yesterday in a house fire on North Bedford Street.

Members of the Talen family gathered at the West Dayton Street firehouse last night to show their support for a new fire initiative that would improve fire safety in the city of Madison.

“If what you’re introducing will save a life, save somebody, it means a great deal to us, obviously to our family and for other families,” said Tim Talen, Peter’s father.

The Peter Talen Memorial ordinance, led by Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, would require smoke alarms to be installed on either side of each bedroom door as well as require all smoke alarms to have 10-year lithium batteries.

“We know our actions can’t remove the pain of that loss, but we are honor-bound to look for solutions that may prevent another family from suffering such an experience,” said

Fire Chief Debra Amesqua.

Amesqua said 98 percent of homes have smoke alarms but only 48 percent of those alarms actually work.

“(The) fire investigation revealed that if a reliable, working smoke alarm had been in effect, it may have saved Peter’s life,” Amesqua said.

The house fire on North Bedford Street occurred during the early morning on Nov. 18, 2007. Peter had been visiting his brother Andy, a UW-Madison student, for the weekend. Andy and others in the house at the time made it out of the fire alive.

“The house on North Bedford Street from a year ago today only had one operable fire alarm that was in the basement,” Verveer said. “It didn’t do much to alert the victims to what was happening of course. I’m afraid that that house from a year ago on North Bedford Street is, frankly, fairly common among downtown housing.”

Following the gathering at the firehouse, Verveer went on to a City Council meeting to refer the measure to three city committees.

Verveer expects the ordinance will be up for passage in January. If passed, the new fire alarm and smoke detector requirements will come into effect by Aug. 15, 2009, the start of the next rental season.

“What happens within a building or a dorm is everyone’s responsibility, and it’s not just the students — they have a responsibility — but landlords, administration, everyone; it’s a community thing because it saves lives, and it’s something we all can do,” said Patty Talen, Peter’s mother.

Talen’s parents traveled from their home in Plymouth, Wis. to be with their son Andy and the other survivors of the fire.

Verveer said the death of Peter Talen was one of the hardest situations he has dealt with during his time as an alder.

“The bottom line is that I think [the ordinance] will make a big difference to fire safety in our community,” Verveer said.

–Becky Vevea contributed to this report.