Officials remind residents of fire safety measures

Madison alders and the Madison Fire Department are introducing a new fire safety initiative today, one year after a house fire on North Bedford Street claimed the life of a University of Wisconsin-La Crosse student.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said he created this measure with the death of Peter Talen in mind.

“There were no effective smoke alarms working at the North Bedford home despite the citywide ordinance that there be an operable fire alarm on each floor of a house,” Verveer said. “The only working fire alarm was in the basement, which didn’t help, seeing as the fire started on the front porch.”

A few days before the North Bedford Street fire, there was another student house fire at 505 N. Carroll St.

“This fire and the awful tragedy of Peter’s death encouraged city officials to think of ways to prevent another tragedy,” Verveer said.

The new initiative would require replacing almost every smoke alarm in city rental units and all detectors in homes that are 10 years or older.

The proposal stresses how “important — in fact essential — it is to have working smoke alarms,” MFD spokesperson Lori Wirth said.

The new proposal prohibits nine-volt battery smoke alarms, which are the alarms most tampered with by tenants, Madison Assistant Fire Chief Ed Ruckriegel said. Instead, 10-year tamper-resistant lithium battery smoke alarms or wired smoke alarms with battery backup would be installed in all city rental units and homes.

Each rental unit and home in Madison would be required to have a smoke alarm in every bedroom and outside every bedroom for extra assurance, Wirth said.

“We know that close to 40 percent of fire fatalities involve the use of alcohol,” Wirth said. “In the case of this ordinance, what we are trying to do is make sure people have a safety, something to rouse them in case of a fire.”

The alarms come with a mute button, but if it continues sensing smoke, it would sound the alarm again.

The tenant or owner is responsible for installation and testing of the alarm. If they tamper with it, they will be issued a citation, Ruckriegel said.

With every new or renewed lease, landlords must check the smoke alarm to make sure it is working properly, Ruckriegel added. Tenants must sign a document affirming the presence of the smoke alarm, that it works suitably and that they are responsible for it. Landlords must also provide tenants with fire safety materials.

Talen’s family will be joining Verveer as he announces the ordinance at the City Council meeting at 6 p.m tonight.

Ruckriegel encouraged students to check out NFPA.org for more information on fire codes and standards, smoke alarms and how to react in case of a fire.