Virus breaks out in Sellery

A norovirus outbreak has been identified within Sellery Hall, creating concern among residents of one of the University of Wisconsin’s largest residence halls.

Vomiting and diarrhea appeared as the most common symptoms, according to Craig Roberts, an epidemiologist for University Health Services. Other common problems include nausea and headaches.

Symptoms appear within 12 to 60 hours after exposure, and they last about 48 hours.

The norovirus causes acute gastroenteritis in humans, which is often mistaken as the stomach flu.

Between 20 and 30 residents of Sellery 6A have been fighting the virus since Thursday.

“The girls on my floor started showing symptoms of the virus on Thursday night,” said UW junior and Sellery 6A house fellow James Hardy. “It spread to the boys’ side over the weekend.”

Roberts said the norovirus spreads through stool-to-mouth contact. It enters through the mouth and is passed via the stool or vomit of an infected person. This can be a result of touching the infected person’s hand or by vomit-contaminated surfaces.

To avoid catching the disease, Roberts recommends residents be overly cautious and wash their hands frequently.

“It is very important to wash your hands after you use the bathroom and before you eat,” Roberts said.

UW freshman Ibrahim Balkhy contracted the virus Sunday morning.

“There was lots of puking and diarrhea — it was hell,” Balkhy said. “All I have eaten are saltines.”

Along with helping his residents cope with the virus, Hardy also had to deal with contracting the virus himself.

“My condition was really bad, so I went to Meriter Hospital on Friday,” Hardy said. “With the help of many fluids, I was able to get over the virus within a day. Rest is key to fighting it.”

Although 6A is finally starting to recover from the norovirus, the infection is rapidly spreading to other floors in Sellery’s fourth, fifth, seventh and eighth floor on the A tower, Hardy said.

“I’m doing all I can to prevent myself from contracting the norovirus,” UW freshman Reema Kaloti said. “I wash my hands constantly to the tune of ‘Happy Birthday’ as recommended, disinfect the sink after I use it with the housing-provided disinfectant and constantly apply anti-bacterial hand sanitizer. I sound anal, but this is just a really bad time for me to get sick.”

A similar outbreak occurred in December 2006 and January 2007 throughout Madison. More than 100 people contracted the norovirus at the Veterans Hospital, Monona Terrace, the Willows Nursing and Rehabilitation Center and the Edgewater Hotel.

Ill students are encouraged to contact UHS for advice at 608-265-5600.