Beyond our borders

University of Wisconsin senior Nicholas Bartholomew expected to be a student at Sweden’s Umea? University this semester. Instead, he became a teacher there.

Bartholomew is questioned about American politics to such an extent that he considers himself an honorary political science teaching assistant.

The results of the 2008 United States presidential elections extend far beyond this country’s borders, and in today’s global political system, people on every continent are vested in candidates’ speeches, decisions and policy briefings.

The effects of the Iraq war and Wall Street meltdown are not only far reaching, but also impact every corner of the world, because, as UW history professor Jeremi Suri put it, “Wwhen the U.S. sneezes, the world gets a cold.”

Plagued with eight years of foreign and monetary policy decisions criticizedhated by much of the world, the international, anti-American government sentiments may change with the nomination – — and possible election – — of a black man.

“With the anticipation of change, [(Barack]) Obama’s attraction is how he shows this other America, [(how])a, he shows the humane, progressive part of America,” Suri said.

But with the support for the liberal America that Obama represents, comes fear and misunderstanding from the country’s conservatives.

“Everyone has an odd fixation on [(Sarah]) Palin – — how on earth McCain could have chosen her is completely beyond them,” Bartholomew said of his Western European peers in and e-mail to The Badger Herald. “The most interesting part for me is the utter inability of most Europeans to wrap their minds around rural America.”

Hotly contested issues pitting Obama against Republican John McCain – — reproductive rights and gun control – — seem like no-brainers to Europe’s youth, who cannot understand why such topics convince people to vote Republican.

However, Obama’s nomination discredits many negative stereotypes about conservative America.

Suri said the long-existing perception that “people in the South are driving pick-up trucks with shotguns and lynching African-Americans” is changing.

“Europeans are asking if the Civil Rights Movement has become mainstream in the U.S., and I think this election may prove that it has,” Suri said.

UW senior Amanda Lojewski recently discussed the upcoming elections with a London resident who said she now has an increased respect for Americans given Obama’s popularity.

“She thought electing Obama meant that other countries would have more respect for the U.S. and believe that we were becoming more tolerant of others and their ideas,” Lojewski said in an e-mail to

The Badger Herald.

But Lojewski said this may be a generalization, adding that contrary to British beliefs, “most Americans agree that electing a president isn’t going to magically unite a country.”

Pro-Obama camps across the world are not necessarily anti-McCain, according to UW alumnusnus Zachary Harrison. Rather, global anti–President George W. Bush feelings are pushing many to fear anything, or anyone, associated with the current administration.

“[Obama] is supported by the fact that he is seen in a light that is the very opposite of Bush,” Harrison said. “He’s a different face, he’s a different color. … Eeverything that Bush represents, he’s the opposite.”

But the European – — and global – — media are very liberal, Harrison said, adding many people he encountered during his two months traveling across Europe “sounded very nai?ve about U.S. politics.”

As an American citizen, Harrison felt the need to educate those he met in hostels about the candidates, U.S. policies and capabilities.

Bartholomew too has assumed the role of educator – — and spends many nights explaining the Electoral College to locals.

“My role here is somewhere halfway between a TA for a U.S. electoral politics class and apologist for policies that I apparently must agree with and thus defend on account of my citizenship,” Bartholomew said.

Suri said regardless of what happens Tuesday, many foreigners doubt U.S. policy will drastically change, though the process by which important decisions are made could be different come Inauguration Day.

“Everyone has to work with the U.S., and most people want to, but no one likes being told they have to do it America’s way,” Suri said. “Style is substance.”