Obama broadens lead in Wisconsin

Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama is now leading in Wisconsin polls by 10 points, according to three newly released polls, as both he and Republican presidential nominee John McCain continue to campaign around the nation in the weeks leading up to the election.

According to three different surveys conducted by WISC-TV and Research 2000, Rasmussen Report and Survey USA, Obama is leading in the polls in potential votes, favorability and the ability to better handle the economy.

WISC-TV and Research 2000 reported in their recent survey that Obama has a 51 to 41 percent lead over McCain among voters. Obama is also seen more favorably by 13 percent of voters, while 26 percent of voters think Obama would better handle the economy.

The Rasmussen Report has Obama leading McCain by 54 percent to 44 percent, with a four point lead over McCain in favorability. Nine percent of voters also said they would trust Obama over McCain when it comes to running the economy.

Survey USA reported similar results, with Obama leading McCain 52 to 42 percent. As for whom each gender would vote for, 54 percent of women and 51 percent of men said they would vote for Obama.

This 10 point lead is a significant growth compared to only a month ago, when Obama lead McCain in the polls by two points. According to the Rasmussen Report, this gives Obama an 82.8 percent chance of winning Wisconsin and its 10 electoral votes on Nov. 4.

No Republican candidate has won Wisconsin since 1984, despite how close the the last two elections have been. In 2000, Democratic presidential nominee Al Gore won by 5,000 votes, and in 2004, Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry won by 10,000.

This year may prove to be close once again, as each candidate continues to focus its attention all around the state through visits and campaign offices.

McCain has planned three visits in Wisconsin this week.

Along with Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin, McCain will host a joint town hall meeting in Waukesha today. This is the second joint town hall meeting Palin and McCain have held in Wisconsin.

After Waukesha’s event, McCain will then hold a rally in Mosinee and a rally scheduled in La Crosse Friday.

According to Kirsten Kukowski, communications director for the Republican Party of Wisconsin, these stops reflect the areas that the McCain campaign is focusing on in the weeks leading up to the election.

“The Milwaukee area is always important ? Waukesha County and Milwaukee County,” Kukowski said. “Then, he’s going to Wausau where there are typically more independent voters, which is a voting class we feel Sen. McCain appeals to.”

McCain is focusing on western and northern Wisconsin, but has also made stops in Racine and Green Bay, which is a conservative area that often leans Democratic, Kukowski added.

While McCain has specific areas of concentration, Obama is focusing on “playing in every corner of the state,” according to Phil Walzak, state communications director for the Obama campaign.

“We have 50 field offices open … in traditionally Democratic areas and traditionally Republican areas,” Walzak said. “This campaign is making an effort to reach out and talk to voters from all across the state, from all different backgrounds.”

lthough Obama has no scheduled stops in Wisconsin before the election, Walzak said more visits may be planned in the future.