Former Ogg demolisher to file suit against state

After having their contract terminated following a series of mishaps, the company contracted to tear down the University of Wisconsin’s Ogg Hall is planning legal action against the state of Wisconsin.

Dore and Associates Contracting, Inc. of Bay City, Mich., was given the contract through the Department of Administration’s low bid process. Since the demolition began, however, problems have plagued the project.

There was a fire in one of the elevator shafts this past December and, according to UW architect Dan Okoli, a piece of the building fell on top of a car parked in the work zone earlier this spring.

DOA Administrator for the Division of State Facilities David Helbach said construction has been halted since March 19 on the project that was scheduled to be done by March 31.

“The contract was terminated because of timeliness, quality and safety issues, safety being paramount,” Helbach said.

Helbach added the west tower of Ogg Hall is “all but down,” with about three floors left standing while the east tower is almost completely intact.

Miron Construction Co., Inc., that does utility work at the university, has been hired to take down the remainder of the west tower, according to Helbach. He said the bid process for the contract to take down the east tower will begin in a couple weeks.

In compliance with state policy, the contract will go to the lowest bidder.

Helbach said he would not discuss the details of the reasons Dorf’s contract was cut because the DOA is “expecting litigation on this” but added he does not deny a piece of the building fell on a car. According to Helbach, there is a possibility of legal action “anytime you fire” a company.

Buck Sweeney, attorney for Dorf and Associates, Inc., said he would not give any specifics about the situation either, adding the company is preparing to take legal action.

“We don’t think they did it the right way,” Sweeney said, referring to the severing of the contract. “As of today we are planning to file a claim.”