Student sets off sprinkler in Towers dormitory

A criminal complaint was filed in April against a University of Wisconsin student accused of setting off a sprinkler system, causing thousands of dollars of property damage.

According to a circuit court criminal complaint, Max Korman has been charged with a Class I Felony for criminal damage to property and a Class A Misdemeanor for interference with firefighting equipment setting off a sprinkler system in the University House Towers private residence hall on April 4.

Korman was identified using video surveillance. Madison police officer Susan Krause observed “the image of a white male with dark wavy hair appearing around his ears or shortly below, wearing a dark brown jacket sweater,” that she later identified as Korman.

An anonymous source confirmed the sprinkler system on the eighth floor of the residence hall’s east tower was tampered with, causing water to flood the hallway. The water then trickled down to the floors below and also caused damage to the Urban Outfitters retail store on the ground floor of the building.

The complaint said Korman “did intentionally cause damage to the physical property of another … whereby said property was reduced in value by more than $2,500.”

Jermaine Butler, director of leasing for the residence hall, said University House Towers received water damages to electrical equipment and other property between $15,000 and $20,000.

According to the criminal complaint, Urban Outfitters reported April 8 that the store had also received “serious and extensive damage” as a result of the flooding in Towers. Store manager William Lesniak provided a list of damaged merchandise totaling to $5,325.

If convicted of the Class I Felony, Korman could face fines up to $10,000 and time in jail up to three years and six months. He could also face up to nine months in jail and a $10,000 fine if convicted of the Class A Misdemeanor charge.