Governor names 2 additions to Board of Regents

Gov. Jim Doyle appointed two new members to the University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents Thursday.

According to Jessica Erickson, press secretary to Doyle, Betty Womack will be starting her term as regent immediately, taking the position vacated by current board member Danae Davis. Davis will be taking the seat formerly held by Milton McPike, who resigned earlier this month due to health concerns.

John Drew will begin his term as regent on June 1, taking the seat of Peggy Rosenzweig, whose term ended in 2007.

Drew, a regional representative for the United Auto Workers in southeast Wisconsin, said it was a great honor to be appointed to the position and that it is very important to step forward to serve his state.

“I saw it as an opportunity to serve the citizens and the students of the state of Wisconsin,” Drew said.

According to a statement released by Doyle’s office, Drew has also worked as adjunct faculty for the University of Wisconsin-Extension School for Workers and as a part-time instructor at UW-Milwaukee.

Drew said he has the experience to effectively serve on the board.

“I’m going into this with an open mind,” Drew said. “I have a long background in manufacturing … and with my experiences as a graduate of a UW school and as an instructor I will be able to serve on the board.”

Drew said he is not going into the position with an agenda, but simply wants to do what is best for the state.

According to a statement, Womack is currently an assistant superintendent at the Kettle Moraine School District and has worked as a principal in the Kettle Moraine area. She has also served as adjunct professor at Cardinal Stritch University, a member of the Wisconsin ACT Advisory Board, the Higher Educational Aids Board, and the National Merit Scholarship Selection Committee.

Womack knows she can provide a unique and valuable perspective to the board, according to the statement.

“Both of the newly appointed members are going to be great additions,” Erickson said. “They have unique perspectives and will both be great assets.”

Chuck Pruitt, vice president of the Board of Regents agrees, and he believes both new members are outstanding appointments.

“With Womack’s experiences with K-12 education, she’s going to bring a terrific number of new ideas,” Pruitt said. “Drew’s education experience and familiarity with union issues will bring an important and valuable perspective.”

According to Erickson, Doyle knows the board needs members who are committed to strengthening educational values in Wisconsin.

Doyle has always made excellent choices for new board members in the past, and this time is no different, according to Pruitt.

“I think the governor has, over the past, always looked across the state of Wisconsin to find the best people to serve the board,” Pruitt said. “These are two people that I know he has known and [who] have passed his test of individuals who bring new knowledge and perspectives.”

Womack was not available for comment as of press time.