Orpheum owner turns to keying rival’s car after financial dispute

The owner of the Orpheum Theater was brought to court Monday for keying the car of his competitor and former business partner earlier this month.

According to the criminal complaint, Henry Doane allegedly scratched the entire length of Eric Fleming's Jeep Grand Cherokee with his keys Friday, Oct. 5 on North Henry Street.

"He scratched all the panels on the driver side: the two doors, the front panel and the back panel," Fleming said. "That will cost me upwards of $2,000 because all four panels must be repainted."

According to Fleming, Doane was seen keying the car by a cook from Chautara Restaurant, which shares an alleyway with The Crave Restaurant and Lounge, which Fleming owns. Fleming was working at the time when the cook came in to tell him what happened.

Fleming then went outside and stopped patrolling Madison Police Officer Carlos Valentin, who later questioned Doane.

"[Doane] admitted to doing it because of the eyewitness," Fleming said.

Doane and Fleming, former partners, now own the two competing restaurants downtown. Their current dispute revolves around a business disagreement, according to Fleming. Fleming said he gave Doane notice that he would not be paying bills on time, Doane then became upset and keyed Fleming's car.

Doane was charged Monday with criminal damage to property, a Class A misdemeanor, and faces up to a $10,000 fine and nine months in jail, according to Assistant District Attorney Mike Verveer.

"Doane was there without an attorney, and I was the prosecutor," Verveer said. "Bail was set, and Doane received a citation requiring him to show up in court later that Monday, which he did."

According to Verveer, the court automatically entered a not-guilty plea on behalf of Doane, as is normal procedure. Because the court granted him a signature bond, Doane did not have to post any bail money.

The court also ordered as a condition of the bond that he have no contact with Fleming outside of normal business.

"It is up to the judge to assign a later court date,"