Assembly votes on K-12 budget

Assembly Republicans passed a K-12 education funding plan Tuesday following extensive deliberation at the state Capitol.

The funding plan, if passed by the Senate and approved by Democratic Gov. Jim Doyle, will be part of the 2007-09 Wisconsin state budget. For months, the Democratic-controlled Senate and the Republican-controlled Assembly have been divided and have yet to pass the new budget. However, legislators doubt the Senate will pass the Assembly’s bill.

John Murray, spokesperson for Rep. Mike Huebsch, R-West Salem, said passing the bill was a "significant compromise. Essentially we came $85 million closer to our goal."

Though the bill has passed through the Assembly, it hasn't yet been voted on in the Senate yet. Confident that the compromise was sufficient, Murray said the Senate “should support and pass [the bill] so we can fund our schools."

Josh Wescott, spokesperson for Sen. Judy Robson, D-Beloit, said Robson is satisfied with the outcome of the K-12 education plan vote.

"Republicans had an epiphany; they righted their wrongs from this past summer … [the Republicans] finally came to the floor."

Wescott added the K-12 budget is "99.7 percent" completed.

In recent communication with the media, Doyle has stressed the importance of passing the state budget — K-12 funding included — as a whole.

However, this task has proved difficult as the state budget — which remains incomplete — was originally slated for completion July 1. Democrats would like to see more money from the state, Wescott added, in order to provide the University of Wisconsin System students more financial aid, lower interest home loan rates for veterans and improve road conditions.

But Murray said Doyle needs to compromise with legislators to pass the entire state budget.

"If Gov. Doyle is sincere about completing the budget, he needs to get serious about dropping the universal health care and lowering taxes," Murray said.

Wescott said tax increases will bring additional dollars into the state from larger corporations and big businesses, not from average citizens.

Big tobacco, hospitals and big oil companies would be targets for the increase, Wescott added.

Disputes over taxes, however, are not helping complete the state budget any faster. Wisconsin needs a completed budget plan by the newly appointed date of Sept. 28, according to Patrick Gasper, communications officer for the Department of Public Instruction.

"[The state] potentially could be hurting if the bill has not been decided on," Gasper said. "Four hundred and twenty-six schools need to be provided a general equalization aid number from the budget. In order to get an accurate number, we need time to figure out the huge formula."

If the state does not decide on a budget plan by Sept. 28, Gasper added, public schools will be required to use last year's budget plan.